Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

someone is popping the hood of my 2004 tribute

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 10:04 PM
Default someone is popping the hood of my 2004 tribute

Please don't laugh

This is making me a little paranoid. Everytime I park at this one area of a local mall, I come back and my hood is "released" as if someone pulled the hood release lever. This has happened several times, with me making sure that the car and hood was locked/could not be opened from the outside. I parked in another area of the mall and my hood wasn't released, but when I went back and parked in the same area, it was released again.

So it seems that someone is either pulling my hood release, which doesn't seem possible, or otherwise using some trick to pop my hood. Any ideas?

Old 08-24-2011, 06:52 AM
Super Moderator

Boy, that's a weird one. And sorry but I did get a little chuckle out of your post.
I have heard of weirder things in the automotive world. Like the BMW that wouldn't start because the oil dipstick was slightly adjar... and it would do it time and time again too.

Since it only seems to happen in one area and you aren't reporting that there has been theft or vandalism involved, is it possible that the car is being parked on an angle that may be causing the problem? I mean if for example the hood latch is worn or not adjusted quite right, or the cable from the inside release too tight (just an example) having the suspension settle while your inside shopping might cause it to release the first setting.
Was the car ever invloved in an accident or fender-bender that would require a trip to a body shop?

Do that sound like a plausible theory?

If time allows, you might just park the car in the place this seems to be happening and then wait for 15mins- 1/2hr to see if it happens again on its own. Or if someone, perhaps a friend that works in the mall and knows your car is "messing" with you.

Last edited by virgin1; 08-24-2011 at 06:56 AM.