Mazda 323,Mazda 626 & Mazda 929 Whether the compact 323, the mid sized 626, or the full sized 929, these vehicles remain very popular even though production has stopped.

626 - Popping noise in the Front End

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 12:01 PM
Default 626 - Popping noise in the Front End

A couple weeks ago I posted a question about a popping noise in the front end of my 98 Mazda 626 that only occurred when I would first drive off. I really became concerned with it when I seen that no one replied to what the problem might be thinking I had a serious problem somewhere. So I took my car to a Mechanic who does allmy work. I've never been knowledgeable about front wheel drive vehicles so therefore I never knew the difference between a transmission & tranaxles. I realized real quick that the transaxle is mounted on the transmission. Dummy me. Inside the transaxle there are two sprockets, a primary and a secondary and a drive chain. The drive chain was jumping on the sprockets, just like it would do on your bicyle you had when you were a little kid. This chain is what actually causes the drive axles to turn. Like a Bicyle if the chain pops off you can't peddle anymore. What caused this problem is the drive axles become worn and then the sloppy movement of the drive axles in turn cause the chain and the two sprockets to work against each other and soon the chain wears and starts jumping on the sprocket. Two drive axles cost $99.95 each and the two new sprockets and chain cost $370.65. So with parts, labor and tax it cost a total of $1187.55 to make my Mazda 626 well again. Sorry for the long post but I just wanted to share this info to help inform some people who might not know about this sort of problem. Thank you.

[IMG]local://upfiles/8263/53B20459931D4B92999BD784B468C6B0.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-12-2007, 03:03 AM
Default RE: 626 - Popping noise in the Front End

Is this the explanation that the repair shop gave to you dbaty?? If so then WOW scary!! Actually the only difference between a transmission and transaxle is nothing. A transmission is generally the term used for a transmission in a rear wheel drive vehicle and transaxle is term used for a transmission is a front wheel drive vehicle. That is the only difference. A transfer case could be mounted onto a transmission of a 4X4 vehicle so maybe that is what they were talking about?? That is doubtful as well if the chain /sprocket theorywas also given to you be the shop. There is most definitely not a chain inside of your transmission or transaxle in yourcase being a front wheel drive vehicle. There are also no sprockets that the chain run on that could start to jump and cause internal problems within the transaxle. I hope you were not given the shaft on this whole deal. Makes sense that you might have had some bad cv joints and some new axles were a solution but not the rest of the story. Have had a great number of Mazda transmissions apart over the years including my own car and guarantee there are no chains and sprockes inside as you describe them telling you this tall tale.

Old 02-12-2007, 02:22 PM

i was thinking the same thing... i was like there is a chain inside there... i was pretty sure that it was bull.... good luck dude !!

Old 02-12-2007, 05:05 PM

DOH!!! He got us both on that one dave87!!! Either did not see the pic or was too slow to download on my home dialup.[:@]That is a pic of the drive chain between the driven sprocket and final drive sprocket on an LA4A-EL transmission. The final drive sprocket is part of the spider gear assembly that actually would in turn run the drive axles. Must have a 4 cylilnder automatic transmission. Was not even thinking of that mutant transmission.Still find it hard to believe that some wear in the axles would cause damage to these internal trans components but I guess you never know. Sorry about that dbaty. Can I blame it on the tequilla?[sm=partyparty.gif]

Old 02-12-2007, 07:59 PM

Hey not a problem here. I'm not an expert in anyway when it comes to transmissions. All I can do is pass along the info that my mechanic gives me and he has alway's been straight with me. I was really starting to wonder and get mad all at once. What I do find puzzling is the fact thatI can't see any wear on the chain or sprockets. Keep this great site going and have a great evening.