Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

Road noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 11:16 AM
Default Road noise

In the 2 weeks of ownership of our '04 ES, we've noticed a lot of road noise, especially coming from the rear. Interesting, since there's no full axle/diff back there. Are these Tributes known for being noisy? Is it mainly the tires (Continental) or is it the wheel bearings, or complete lack of any insulation? Anyone ever add insulation that helped?

I didn't expect it to be mercedes-quiet, but it is quite noisy.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 10-13-2006, 11:06 AM
Luc
Default RE: Road noise

Our '04 Tribute started out quiet but eventually got really loud, it was so loud it would give you a head ache when driving. We changed the Continental tires to Yokohama Geolanders H/T-S GO51 and the noise almost went away completly. Its a much more comfortable ride now.

Old 10-17-2006, 08:29 AM

We replaced the tires on ours (2002 4WD) soon after buying it used (12,000 miles at purchase, 6,000 we added) because the tires were feathered. The noise was getting unbearable and I thought it might be drive train related.

It appears that the tire rotation is very important for these vehicles. We bought some Pep Boys Futura tires that were the quietest SUV style they offered and have had good luck with them. I rotate them at every oil change and they are wearing very evenly up to now (50,000 miles). They look almost brand new. I do not remember if I had the Trib aligned at that time, but I know that it has not been aligned since then. I only align when I notice some uneven wear.

Old 10-21-2006, 04:30 PM

We have a 2005 Tribute S that has been nothing but trouble. In the 14 months we've had it, it has been basically a driveway ornament. From the start, "someone" forgot to tighten the battery cables on the vehicle, so we had intermittent starting troubles until I figured it out. Then came the noise. SO LOUD. Already had TWO sets of rotors, a new roof panel (first one fell in and the second is about to do the same), new brakes, new bearings, a complete rack-and-pinion replacement (after I told them for over a YEAR we were using over a bottle a week of power steering fluid--and they told me that "ladies don't know, but don't fill the tank all the way full"---uh, why was I having to fill it up in the first place? I've had my Honda for 8 years/125K and NEVER put power steering fluid in it...)

Now we can't drive it because we can't hear each other talk. Finally got them to look at it again and was told the rear tires were severely cupped and needed to be replaced.

The front tires (which were switched with the rear about 2 months ago- or when they were replacing the rack and pinion) are fine, but I can't help but wonder if the tires that were on the front when the rotors, etc. went bad, were caused by all that nonsense.

As you can tell, I HATE MAZDA and will NEVER EVER EVER purchase another one. The sad thing is, I can't even sell this one to anybody because I have a conscience and couldn't sleep at night if I did. If anybody has a solution or another way to deal with cupping/road noise rather than to spend ANOTHER $800 on tires, please let me know.

Old 10-25-2006, 03:43 PM

ORIGINAL: barklaysmom

As you can tell, I HATE MAZDA and will NEVER EVER EVER purchase another one. The sad thing is, I can't even sell this one to anybody because I have a conscience and couldn't sleep at night if I did. If anybody has a solution or another way to deal with cupping/road noise rather than to spend ANOTHER $800 on tires, please let me know.

Its actually a Ford with a Mazda badge.

Too bad about your lemon. Did you buy it used? If so, how many miles? Dealer or private?

Try an alignment. I don't know if tributes can be have a 4-wheel alignment or just the front two. If the car was hit before you bought it, it may not have been repaired correctly, thereby wearing out tires prematurely.

Old 11-06-2006, 04:15 PM

Got new tires today due to a darn flat that ruined the tire.

Now its more like I expected, noise-wise. Must have been the Contis.

Uniroyal Laredo Cross Country AWP

Old 11-07-2006, 12:32 PM

Mazda needs to stop dispering their name with Ford cars. My family has 3 Mazdas. 2 of our 6's have 33,000 miles combined with no problems. My dad has a Miata with 6,000 miles with no problems. I use to own a Mazda B-Series. That was a pile of horse****. Leak in the rear window, lack of power, brakes went at 30,000. Ford is setting Mazda back!

Old 11-09-2006, 03:50 PM

ORIGINAL: mazda guy

Mazda needs to stop dispering their name with Ford cars. My family has 3 Mazdas. 2 of our 6's have 33,000 miles combined with no problems. My dad has a Miata with 6,000 miles with no problems. I use to own a Mazda B-Series. That was a pile of horse****. Leak in the rear window, lack of power, brakes went at 30,000. Ford is setting Mazda back!

What's this rant have to do with my solved tire noise thread?

Old 07-25-2011, 05:11 PM
Default I added some insulation

...when I installed new speakers. When I removed the door panels, I noticed a lot of area that wasn't covered by the recycled matt materiel, so I spent $20 on some expanding foam insulation.

Now there's barely any road noise at all! Helped tons, and wasn't any extra effort, since I was in there anyway.

Well worth it!