Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

Replacment ignition key vs cloned key vs fair price?

Old 10-31-2014, 12:06 AM
Default Replacment ignition key vs cloned key vs fair price?

I have a 2003 Tribute but, having bought it used, I have only one key. After reading about the high cost of having a spare made at the dealer, I tried Pop-A-Lock--who wanted $114 to make a spare--or $150 for an entirely new key! After a few questions, their tech told me that they have a 'diagnostic tool' that can put the car into "add key mode"..so apparently the thing can be done basically within the car even if you have no key at all.

I happened to check the local Walmart and, lo and behold, they'll make it for $60.00. Considerably cheaper, and I was going to do it, but it happened that the key machine was down at the moment (@#$%!). Still, I got to glance at their machine, a small box in a drawer behind the counter, and even read the instruction manual the employee had. That proved to me that for $60 (or $150) one can essentially turn it on, put in the original key, push a button, wait, remove that and put in the new blank key, push the button...voila! $60 bucks for pushing a button two or three times! (note: I don't know if they actually make a second independent key, or just clone what you have. It may matter if you ever wanted to use both of them later to make your own third key. Still, it's a spare key!)

The point of all this is that if it's arbitrarily $150..or $114..or $60, for what is really only $10 worth of time, or maybe $20 at most, surely there is some company that doesn't take advantage and gouge the public. I'd have hoped Mazda would strive for customer loyalty by simply making the key for free, but I guess that's not the case. So I may have to pay Walmart eventually, but if anyone knows of any location that makes transponder keys at a reasonable and honest price, I'd sure appreciate the information.
-JT