Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

2001 Tribute broken door handle

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 10:34 PM
Default 2001 Tribute broken door handle

It seems like this is a common problem. I am determined to fix this nonsense myself. I won't pay $300-600 to get it fixed. I am so frustrated that this is not a reason for a recall as so many people are having the same problem. So, anyone out there that knows how to fix this that could give details and possible pictures. Both passenger and driver door handles are broken. I took off the panel today as I was curious on the mechanics of it and if I could rig it someway. I know nothing of fixing cars but I read Tony's fix and by looking at the handle, I definitely needs more detail.

Old 10-03-2012, 05:38 AM

if only this came up about a month ago I could of done the photos for you. I broke my driver side internal door handle, had to wind down the window and open from the outside everyday, that was fun.

Anyhow dude, I ebay a door handle for bout $30 delivered, not genuine part but it still works but when you lock the car the lock bit doesn't come out as much, big deal.

The hardest part of this was taking the panel off and then putting the panel back on, because of the screw that is in where the handle sits, that screw actually holds the panel and screws the actually door handle to the car body/panel.

Now if you managed to take the panel on and off, you are 90% there, so go buy the handle from ebay. to change it you will see on the actual handle the wire with the sleeve and the end of the sleeve is a rubber insert, you pretty much slide the rubber insert off the old handle as well as the wire. Get the new handle, pop the wire in the **** and slide the rubber insert into the new handle. The description will be more understandable when you get the handle. In the whole process I think it took me just over an hour and a bit, and I think it took 30-45 minutes to put the screw into the handle section so that it locked the panel and handle into the panel.

Seriously man, if I can do it so can you. my assumption here is that you mean the handle on the inside.

I got some photos of my broken handle that I can send if you pm my your email address.

Old 10-03-2012, 05:47 AM

Forgot to mention, I have a 2001 tribute also.

I initially saw this vid, so I thought it can't be that hard so I tried it.

Old 10-04-2012, 01:52 PM

Thank you megapen. I will give it another shot next week. I thought about trying pick n pull as well. Will post when I start this project.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:10 PM

I had to replace the passenger front a couple months ago. J. C. Whitney has them for about $85 less than the dealer.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Syty12
Thank you megapen. I will give it another shot next week. I thought about trying pick n pull as well. Will post when I start this project.
have fun, it's always nice to be able to open the car from the inside.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by Kevinkpk
I had to replace the passenger front a couple months ago. J. C. Whitney has them for about $85 less than the dealer.
Is that genuine part? you can search on ebay mazda tribute door handle, it's about $35, I went this option because I wasn't really sure that I could actually do it, so I thought, it's only $35, I'll have a go.

Old 12-25-2012, 11:03 AM

Mine stopped working altogether, I can open it by pushing the lock in from the inside, but both the handles stopped working inside and out. Well pulled that door panel all the way off just to see there was broken plastic, We were digging around everywhere just to see if we could rig it. lmao

Old 12-25-2012, 11:22 PM

Very common problem I have changed hundreds of them in the 10 years I have been working for mazda. Takes me about 5 min to change an inner handle I have no control over how much they charge the customer but I get paid 1 hour to do it and that's $105 to the customer plus parts.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:33 PM
Default 01 Tribute Exterior Door Handle Removal

I have a 01 Tribute and the passenger rear door exterior handle just broke on me. can anyone help with removing the handle in order to replace it. I have gotten as far as removing the 2 screws that hold it in place as well as removing the rod. I can't figure out how to get the front of the handle to separate.

Quick Reply: 2001 Tribute broken door handle