Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

Remote starters on Tributes

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 08:22 AM
Default Remote starters on Tributes

My Tribute's keyless remote fobs aren't in the best shape, so I want to replace them. However, finding replacements in Canada is difficult (as I don't want to be gouged with US import/customs/brokerage fees).

An alternative would be to install a remote starter, since they come with fobs, as I'm only using the vehicle for the winters. I've had remote starters on past vehicles and they are nice, especially when parking outdoors. The Tribute's manual advises not to install remote starters, which I think is because of the "coded key" and anti-theft system.

Does anyone have any experience with this on the Tribute, and/or have a remote starter installed? Last year I had one installed on my 93 Accord winter car for $200, which was a good "investment". That car didn't come with remote access, so the remote starter provided that.

Cheers, Mark

Old 11-02-2009, 11:30 AM

I can't give you advice about remote starters but... My used 2006 tribute came with only one key. I needed another key for piece of mind. The dealer charged me $20US for the key plus $80 to program it. Having said that: these are coded keys and you will probably need to "Hide" a key in the car. The outfit that installs remote starters will ask you for a "valet" key to put in or near the remote starter (this was done with a friend of mine's Lexus car)
Let us know how you make out.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:48 AM
Default remote starter

Originally Posted by wopjob
I can't give you advice about remote starters but... My used 2006 tribute came with only one key. I needed another key for piece of mind. The dealer charged me $20US for the key plus $80 to program it. Having said that: these are coded keys and you will probably need to "Hide" a key in the car. The outfit that installs remote starters will ask you for a "valet" key to put in or near the remote starter (this was done with a friend of mine's Lexus car)
Let us know how you make out.
As it turns out, my lunch date canceled, so I went to two dealerships and an auto electronics installer on my lunch break because my faulty OEM head unit won't come out of the car (those stupid clips must be bent so it will require a partial dash template removal and tool access from behind).
While the electronics installer was attempting to get my head unit to cooperate, I asked him about remote starters, since they installed the one on my old Honda last year. He didn't think my 02 LX had a coded key (by looking at the key and ignition ring) and said a remote starter will work ($150)....worst case would be an extra module required to bypass the code/security at an extra $100. So, I wouldn't need to "hide" a key in the car (don't like that idea anyway, as a thief could find it and help himself to the vehicle, and my insurance company could refuse a claim).

So I guess I answered my own question on the same day, but maybe this thread will help someone else out.

Cheers, Mark

Old 11-02-2009, 12:28 PM

Hello.
When I purchased my Tribby back in September 2000, I had a remote starter installed (with engine heating function).
The dealer did for about 150 bux, here in Calgary (I had something similar in my previous 626 installed). However I remember they had to code the new fob with the original fob so as to not interfere with the factory alarm (or better said to work with it). I can use the old fobs (only to lock/unlock) or the "new" fob - lock/unlock/start/stop/programm - to keep engine warm (in case no plugin available).

Hope this helps

Old 11-04-2009, 08:08 AM
Default Update

I'm getting a Compustar remote starter installed next week (with bypass module for OEM security) and a Pioneer bluetooth multimedia head unit.....almost $800 later - ouch!
This all started after I bought a $20 replacement OEM head unit and I couldn't get the original out of the dash - the pins holding the unit in seem bent, so I needed a technician to pull it out and while in the shop, they sold me the "gold package" LOL - go figure.
Anyway, it's law in Ontario now that we cannot use handheld units while driving, so the bluetooth head unit is practical, if nothing else.

Cheers, Mark

Old 11-14-2009, 11:59 AM

I installed a UltraStart remote starter in my 01 tibute. Your keys are recognized by the ring in the ignition column... but it is easily bypassed with a $25 kit. You will need an additional key to stick in the bypass (or spend more for a unit that doesn't need a key). The keys can be programmed at home if you have at least one working key. (your car will support up to three keys programmed to it at any given time. I found a key on ebay for $10, the bypass for $25, and the remote starter for $40. Wiring diagrams can be found on this site, or from the supplier of the remote starter if you want to do it youself.

Old 11-16-2009, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by joshsopczak
.. The keys can be programmed at home if you have at least one working key. (your car will support up to three keys programmed to it at any given time.
My manual for the 06 states that you need 2 keys to be able to program a third yoursef. If you only have 1 key then you need to go to the dealer..

Old 11-16-2009, 02:18 PM
Default Update

The CompuStar remote starter wasn't working for the technician so it required a return visit with a more experienced troubleshooter. Turns out, some documentation had a 0 instead of a 1 for the programming code (difference between off and on in the computer world). Once that was determined, the remote starter worked fine.
Not being a big DIY'er, I would personally never tackle a remote starter install myself. Just securing the wiring properly would present headache enough (I had a bad OEM alarm install done once on a NEW car where the guy made a mess of my wires). Props to people who have the wherewithal to tackle this job! I'm sure it saves considerable money.

Cheers, Mark

Old 05-09-2020, 08:26 AM
Default Just wondering

Hey everyone, I was just wondering something. I just got a 2001 tribute DX yesterday and it turns out I can’t unlock the driver door from the outside so I was wondering I have a prostart command start unit (2-way remote version) I had in a 1992 Honda Accord and I was wondering what I actually require to install it into my Mazda? I use to install them at Canadian Tire years ago. Would a bypass module work if I require a second key?