Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Remote Starters

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 11:02 AM
Default Remote Starters

I have a Mazda 3 with manual trans. I was considering installing a remote starter (along with a new horn, because the factory horn SUCKS!.. but that's another story). Anyway, some places said they would install it whileothers said they would not because it's too dangerous. Does anyone recommend it one way or the other?

Old 06-05-2007, 11:19 AM
Default RE: Remote Starters

I personally wouldn't put a remote start on a manual trans car.

I had an uncle who had remote start on his mustang....let his gf borrow the car, he started the car up from his window the next morning, jumped in the shower and came out to see his mustang plowing over and over again into his neighbors car.

so pertty much don't do it.....but do go with some Natulius aftermarket horns...or Hellas.

Old 06-05-2007, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator

[font=californainfb]
I have to agree. The clutch-in switch would have to be overridden and if the car was parked in gear, you might find yourself in the same situation as described above, or worse. Your car might move itself (forward or back) into the street and kill someone, unattended. You would most certainly be held responsible for any injuries or deaths caused by it. Is it worth the risk?
Not a good idea, and any reputable shop would tell you that, imo.

Old 06-05-2007, 01:20 PM

ORIGINAL: shalezoom3

I personally wouldn't put a remote start on a manual trans car.

I had an uncle who had remote start on his mustang....let his gf borrow the car, he started the car up from his window the next morning, jumped in the shower and came out to see his mustang plowing over and over again into his neighbors car.
funny

Old 06-05-2007, 01:25 PM

^ yeah it was funny as hell.

if winter is a thing you are concern about.....i would see if you can get aftermarket block heaters installed....or something like that.

Old 06-05-2007, 01:45 PM

Thanks for your feedback guys.

The reason I was considering it is because I am the only one that drives stick in my family. I always park the car in Neutral and I leave the emergency breaks on. So I know I can trust myself to autostart the car. And it's just so I can warm the car up in the winter and cool it off in the summer before actually jumping into the car. (For now if I want to warm up the car in the winter I start the car and lock the doors when I go back inside the house so no one can drive off with the car. The I use my extra key remote to unlock the doors and get into the car when I'm ready to leave... Yeah I know it's a convoluted process and not as secure as the remote start but it works for me).

Anyway, even though I am the only driver, there are times when I will give my car to someone else like a mechanic or a valet parking attendant. It's in those cases that I really don't know what could happen. The mechanic or valet driver could leave the car in 1st out of habit. He could accidentaly hit the remote start button instead of the unlock door button and then God knows what happens.

My cousins advise me to get a remote start because of the convenience (yet none of them have a stick car). But when I think up of scenarios like the two above, I hesitate to put a remote start in the car. So I was just wanted to see what other people thought....

Old 06-05-2007, 01:46 PM

speaking of remote stuff is it possible to install an automatic trunk unlock. bothers me since i have a aux button on my car alarm remote i cant open my trunk without the car key.[>:]

Old 06-05-2007, 03:39 PM

but if youget the remote start....another thing you have to worry about is....did i put the e-brake up?

it just adds another thing to worry about...rather then just running outside and starting the car up.