Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2022, 03:41 PM
Default Oil Leak

Hi all. I have a 2004 v6 Tribute that has an oil leak. It drips off of the oil filter as well as the ac compressor. I first thought it was the oil cooler so i replaced that to no avail. Still drops oil. About 3 drops in 24 hours. It ceases dripping after 24 hours of the car sitting. So it only drips when running and then the residual after stopping. I now have a feeling it is the oil pressure switch that is leaking. When i first turn the key to the on position the oil light on the dash flickers. Whilst i was replacing the oil cooler i did not look at the oil pressure switch. Maybe should have. Now if the oil pressure switch is leaking would the oil run down the filter as well as ac compressor. As i said only 3 or 4 drips in 24 hours. It is not the oil filter that is leaking as it can be seen where it is running down from the cooler which is higher up. Any thoughts on this predicament
would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 03-03-2022, 03:52 PM

I've heard repeated over the decades the timing cover and especially oil pan are notorious for leaking. I attest that's true, and after 20 years I finally at least fixed the chronic oil pan leak while replacing the cats (Y-pipe at least requires removal). All that said, it's very common for a leak to have migrated from its source to other areas and components nowhere close. I would check whether the fans get credit for moving the oil to where it's leaking, or, I've heard the valve covers around our model years take to leaking.