Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Oil Leaking Problem?!?!

Old 11-22-2013, 08:15 PM
Default Oil Leaking Problem?!?!

I have a 1999 Mazda Protege LX 1.6L 156,206 miles. I've recently had my oil change at the shop and when I came back, I've noticed droplets of oil from leaving the car in the garage overnight. I looked at my drain plug and oil filter to make sure everything was tight, the drain plug was loose so I had retightened it but same problem occurred. I then did my own oil change it at this point. I replaced it with a WIX filter and MaxLife Valvoline High Mileage 5w-30 grade oil since it is winter time. I made sure the gasket was from the oil filter came off and it was. I tightened everything to spec but yet the car still looks 2-3 drops of oil overnight. Both filter and drain plug are bone dry. Could it possibly be the oil pan gasket? Help would be appreciated!

Old 11-22-2013, 10:51 PM
Banned

could be leftover oil spilled from putting it in or from spreading when the oil plug was loose or from filter femoval. Oil could have sprayed around the oil pan and still dripping. Or oil could have been spilled from when it was poured from above.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:54 PM

Thanks for the fast reply! I mean it does it after two oil changes in less that 100 miles apart and I've always used a funnel and wiped my engine compartment . I've just checked my car after putting a cardboard under the right passenger side and wiped it with a clean rag it is a black brownish color then wiped the dipstick and it was clean oil it makes sense as to what you are saying. How long until the old oil will go away or burn off?

Old 11-23-2013, 04:20 AM

i bet who ever did this oil change overfilled the engine oil, this particular engine the zm 1.6l only takes 3.1 quarts of engine oil, wouldn't be surprised if they overfilled it with 4 quarts or more. That is what caused my oil leak at my crank seal. I can imply the oil is dripping from the passeger side since you see it dripping from around the oil filter area if thats the case i would suspect one the following or more oil pressure sensor, oil pan gasket, cam and crank seal. if you see engine oil on one more of your drive belts suspect crank seal.

Last edited by mazpro00; 11-23-2013 at 04:22 AM.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:08 AM

Thanks for the reply! I put in the required amount of oil stated in the Mazda owners manual. I recently had my timing belt, drive belts, and water pump replaced bu this was AFTER the oil change 2 weeks later. My valve cover gasket is dry, nothing is on the drive belts. The funny part is I had put a cardboard under my car and wiped the oil with a clean rag and it was a dark brown color then I wiped my dipstick and it was clean oil I can't seem to find the link.

Old 11-23-2013, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by bdo3043
Thanks for the reply! I put in the required amount of oil stated in the Mazda owners manual. I recently had my timing belt, drive belts, and water pump replaced bu this was AFTER the oil change 2 weeks later. My valve cover gasket is dry, nothing is on the drive belts. The funny part is I had put a cardboard under my car and wiped the oil with a clean rag and it was a dark brown color then I wiped my dipstick and it was clean oil I can't seem to find the link.
so hold a sec the oil started leaking after the timing belt job?

Old 11-24-2013, 05:53 AM
Super Moderator

Are you sure its engine oil?

Old 11-24-2013, 08:53 PM

check the power steering pump. that oil might be power steering fluid. if you have a leak there it drips down the ac compressor, and to the floor.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:38 PM

Thanks for the replies fellas! IT IS confirmed I do have an oil pan gasket leak. The shop wants to charge me 209$ for parts and labor. Any instructions on how to remove the pan and reseal it? Thanks!

Old 11-25-2013, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by mazpro00
so hold a sec the oil started leaking after the timing belt job?
Nope it happened before the timing belt job

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil Leaking Problem?!?!