Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

Mazda Tribute 03 Flex Pipe Incorrect Length

Old 05-28-2017, 03:12 PM
Unhappy Mazda Tribute 03 Flex Pipe Incorrect Length

Hi all,

First time on the forum's, I'm happy there's a tribute community our there .

My parent's recently got their 2003 Tribute fixed up at a cheap mechanic (exhaust flex pipe, alternator replacement, and tire change).

I'm wondering how urgent a problem a shorter than stock flex pipe may be. The flex pipe they welded in place is about a third the length of the original flex pipe (see attached photos, new and old).

I don't know enough about the lifetime and durability of these joints. Any idea if this parts will cause a major issue long term, or will it just wear out dramatically faster?

Thanks in advance everyone!!

Note: I will be fixing the hanger that they also forgot to fix on the system, which now has a shorter flex pipe...

Attached Thumbnails Mazda Tribute 03 Flex Pipe Incorrect Length-new-flex-joint.jpg   Mazda Tribute 03 Flex Pipe Incorrect Length-old-flex-joint.jpg  
Old 05-28-2017, 03:52 PM

Now you know why he's a cheap mechanic. Honestly I've seen better welding done in a field during a competition. The prime aim of that repair is cheap so it will undoubtedly fail sooner than stock, a "flex" pipe that long isn't going to really have any flex compared to stock, its just a bit of vibration insulation but I'd expect engine movement to cause it to fail pretty quickly - but that may still be in a year or two depending on the state of your engine mounts and driving style/mileage...

Old 05-28-2017, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by simonsi
Now you know why he's a cheap mechanic. Honestly I've seen better welding done in a field during a competition. The prime aim of that repair is cheap so it will undoubtedly fail sooner than stock, a "flex" pipe that long isn't going to really have any flex compared to stock, its just a bit of vibration insulation but I'd expect engine movement to cause it to fail pretty quickly - but that may still be in a year or two depending on the state of your engine mounts and driving style/mileage...
Thanks simonsi!

I personally do my own work on my 05 Sentra, and replace exhaust parts entirely vs. welding even if it costs more (plus I don't have welding tools/experience). My parents aren't fond of the vehicle's state and won't want to invest as much. The shop definitely isn't a place I'd recommend to others without mechanically inclined family members to review the work.

I'll monitor it's wear and tear and will fix the hanger asap, hopefully reducing the stress on the joint (and subsequently the upstream exhaust piping). Thanks again!!

If anyone has further input it's greatly appreciated

Old 05-29-2017, 07:34 AM
Super Moderator

Thats some pretty ugly welding.

I don't think a flexi that short will last very long.