Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

How many miles do you have on your Tribute, and How many Problems have you Had?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 08:52 PM

Have a 2002 Tribute LX 3.0 L AWD 98,785 miles only 1 recall for the rack and pinion power steering and other than that the baby runs fine. Like most have stated you get around 17 to 18 mpg city and 22 to 23 highway but have found that if you are not in a rush and drive 60mph you can get up to 26mph with out a tail wind. Yes people do pass by and wonder what is going on but I am not in any rush to go anywhere now days and with the price of gas a lead foot only makes the milage worse rather than better. GREAT LITTLE SUV

Old 04-04-2012, 05:41 AM

'04 Tribute 2.3 Auto with 220,000k's
Replaced Alternator after the computer bit on it failed (I think it got wet because it's positioned too low) $650 fitted (Mazda wanted $1000 for part)
Replaced Auto Neutral Safety Switch $120 fitted
Replaced front left wheel bearing $200 fitted
I notice that first thing in the morning the transmission changes from first to second with a bit of a thump...it does it once and then it's fine...a bit strange.
Engine is perfect, I also appreciate the lower engine revs at highway speeds compared to my 04 Outlander which revved way higher at 100k's.
Cloth trim is wearing really well...people still comment it looks new!
Only thing I don't like is the rear drum brakes...would like to change for disc set-up if possible.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:34 AM
Default Love my Mazda

Fortunately for me we have only had to do the required maintenance on this vehicle, Fluid changes, gear box changes and tune-up. I do need to get the stabalizer rods changes as they are making noise now but for a 10 year old vehicle wwe won't complain. Just went over 100,000 miles.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:27 PM
Question I have to ask..

I just bought a 2004 V6 Tribby with 36K miles. I read here that alot of people never had tranny problems and have well over 100K - 200K miles. How is it that some people never have tranny problems and others have problems at 30K? Servicing the tranny every 30K saves it? How are most of you getting that kind of miles out of your tranny?

I love the truck so far but half the time i'm afraid the trannys going to blow on me after reading all the bad tranny reviews out there. At the same time, my
dad has a 2001 Taurus with the 24V V6 ( same thing as the Tribute or Escape with what I THINK is the same tranny and he has 120K miles without any problems.

Last edited by MikeysTribby; 07-13-2012 at 10:30 PM.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:43 AM

2001 Tribute DX, 4 cyl 5 spd manual.

Easily the most reliable and economical vehicle I've owned!

Door handle - yep, alternator, yep, water pump yep, K&N installed (noticeable on the highway - much improved mileage), platinum plugs. Also replaced the drive shaft (centre bearing went = need whole shaft), clutch, front anti-sway bushings.

Now I think it's the clutch master cylinder. Oh well at least it's easily accessible...

Also, for road noise, all I did was take off each inside door panel and applied a layer of expanding insulation foam. It only takes about 15 minutes to cure, then you can just easily cut away the excess to fit. Helps cut down road noise dramatically (although not completely), as well as improve speaker bass. Big improvement.

Old 04-20-2013, 12:48 PM

bumping an old thread...2004 Tribute LX update...

passed the 200K miles mark in february...

recently replaced the brake booster (brake pedal was whistling when i let off brake)...probably failed due to leaky master cylinder...

otherwise, still running strong...knocking on wood...

Old 12-06-2013, 07:14 PM

2008 Tribute 160,000
Electronic steering went out. The steering wheel would move by itself. Pretty scary if u think about it.
One time the mass air flow sensor was dirty and was getting crappy gas mileage. I cleaned it and the gas mileage went back to normal.
Other than that it's a great vehicle.
It is leaking a little oil from I think the valve cover.

Old 02-19-2014, 05:47 PM

Okay, here goes:

2002 Mazda Tribute DX (4Cyl, manual trans, 141,000)

brake pads (twice)
rotors (twice)
water pump (3 times)
master cylinder (twice)
rack and pinion (1 time)
clutch (twice)
jammed passenger side door
read window hydraulics failing
cracked thermostat casing causing coolant leak (replaced)
cracked front axle gasket causing transmission fluid leak
cv joints replaced
shocks replaced
catalytic converter failing
timing chain/belt replaced
plastic silver panel on front of panel replaced
rust spots on driver door (still not fixed)
driver side door handle replaced
**** on air conditioner replaced
factory radio/cd player does not work anymore
Rear motor mount replaced because it cracked and my engine was rocking

These are all I can think of off the top of my head. I've had the brake lights replaced a few times, and the license plate light a few times. Some type of "C clip" broke once, as well, but I'm probably not getting the name correctly there.

I am currently having another round of clutch issues, but this may be due to faulty labor in the installation of my latest clutch last month. I will see next week. It's parked until then.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:27 AM
Default Miles on my Mazda Tribute

I have a 2002 Mazda Tribute with 105,678 miles on it, so far it has had one recall on the rack and pinion steering which was taken care of by the dealer. I did the first set of break pads at 65,000, I did a tune up at 100,000 miles, had to replace the oil pan because no one would own up to over tightening the bolt not a fault of the manufacture. I replaced the sway bar links at 103,000 miles because the were worn out and just replaced the left lower ball joint because it was worn out at 104,000. Regardless of the manufactures recommendations I have replaced the oil & filter every 6,000 miles and air filter every 30,000 miles, the vehicle runs like a champ and has never left me stranded, the only thing I don't care for is the gearing of the transmission because it has to come out of overdrive when going up moderate hills rather than the larger ones when in cruise control. Might by one again when this one gives out why pay $400.00 per month when I have a great vehicle and I don't have to spend that much in gas and repairs.

Old 02-20-2014, 01:51 PM

I own a 2001 Tribute 2.0L w/289k km on the odo.

Things I have replaced in the 6 years I have owned it;
Sway bar end links - 3 times
Lower control arm bushings 2 times
Lower ball joints (both sides)
Rusted out oil pan
Exhaust from the catalytic converter back
Usual Brake parts, pads, shoes, spring kit and drums
Both rear wheel cylinders and flex lines
Had to paint the brake booster due to brake fluid leak (reservoir cap defect)
Brake reservoir cap (defect)
Complete e-brake cable
Rear dif drive shaft seals

Then the usual engine maintenance, timing belt, water pump, tension pulleys, fluids etc..etc.

Really nothing out of the ordinary for a 13 year old SUV with 180k miles. Including being driven on salty winter roads for all of those years.

Quick Reply: How many miles do you have on your Tribute, and How many Problems have you Had?