Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda Tribute (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-tribute-22/)
-   -   How many miles do you have on your Tribute, and How many Problems have you Had? (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-tribute-22/how-many-miles-do-you-have-your-tribute-how-many-problems-have-you-had-19731/)

marc515 08-09-2009 09:45 AM

How many miles do you have on your Tribute, and How many Problems have you Had?

We have an 03 Tribute with 25K miles on it, and no major problems thus far. My wife likes the new Tributes, and we're thinking about a new one next year.

Just wondering how many miles you guys have on your Tributes, and how many Problems have you had over all. Basically, a long term reliability question.

Thank you,.....marc

tribute04 08-12-2009 04:13 PM

86,000 so far! Nothing at all! other than replacing a bulb in the tail light, and a new sunroof open-close switch. It's hands down the best car i've ever owned.

Mototana 08-15-2009 01:47 PM

100,200 today, air bag wire harness needed cleaning to stop air bag light. Original tires got real noisy at some point. The hardly ever used rear wiper motor got weak and I replaced it myself. Great truck the only thing I don't like is the way the rear seats fold and that you have to remove the rear headrests to fold them, the new Tributes the same I believe.

marc515 08-16-2009 06:49 AM

Mototana, actually the way the back seats fold down are perfect for us, as they lay down flat. We have a Yellow Lab who is always with us, and the fact the whole back is flat is great for him.

We've looked at a few other comparable SUV's and they fold down on an angle.

Thanks,......marc

wcraigiii 08-17-2009 06:53 PM

I've got an '01 w/82,000 miles on it so far (3.0 V6).
Two O2 sensors have gone on it, the sunroof failed around 60,000 miles (some cable broke), the front outer tie rod ends were replaced at ~74,000 miles, the front sway bar links were replaced at ~63,000 miles.
The inner door handle on the driver's side recently broke. It's really a cheaply made part. There's a really good fix for this handle problem posted on this forum if it happens to you - BTW.
Other than that, a great car!
Oh and it gets around 17-18 MPG around town. I did once get 26.1 MPG on the road - no AC with a wind behind me!

Jozay 08-18-2009 06:46 PM

I also have an '01 LX V6 and mine has nearly 150K miles on it. Problems so far include:

- EGR valve replaced once and needs to be replaced again
- Driver's seat airbag wiring harness failed; replaced
- Interior driver side door handle broke and still broken
- Driver and passenger side external door handles failed; repaired them myself
- Battery failed and replaced -- no big deal, as the car has a few years on it
- Parking brake linkage needs to be lubed/replaced since it no longer releases properly; I quit using it
- The front suspension seems to rattle sometimes -- maybe I need to replace the tie rod ends or sway bar links like the previous reviewer

Yes, I've had a few issues with mine, but I've never owned a car this long and overall am happy with the way it's held up. But, I will probably opt for a more "genuine" Japanese car next time...the Tribs are essentially Ford vehicles.

ric325 08-23-2009 12:38 PM

*UPDATE - 4/7/12: 433,360 miles. Engine still runs smooth. The issues now are the door handles inside and out. Just replaced both sway bar links and the right outter tie rod. Going to replace the left cv joint next weekend. Did the fuel pump last year sometime. Still getting that 24-27mpg. I hope to get it to 500,000. At 20K miles a year, maybe in three years. I live on the coast and the salt air is really beginning to take it's toll on the under carriage. 2001 Tribute DX, 5 spd, 4 cyl - 2.0 litre. 376, 600 miles. I bought it new and outside of the usual replacement items: two clutches, EGR valve, an alternator, cv joints (both left and right twice), accelerator sensor, front calipers, inside door handles, both hinges for the rear glass. I still get 25-27 mpg all around (50-50 hwy-city). I've never had to allign it, the exahust is original. I can't complain. It starts every time and runs fantastic. My buddy and I did everything but the clutches and alternator. It is easier to work on then the 6cyl engine.

ToddinBoston 08-23-2009 09:41 PM

my '04 Tribute LX has 143,000 miles, mostly crawling through Boston gridlock traffic...bought it with 13,000 miles...my "problems" so far:

1. the LED display on my radio fades in and out...if you push on the screen, it comes back...radio works fine...
2. one broken tie rod...
3. replaced one coil pack...
4. one broken fog lamp (hit something)...
5. my front wheels are permanently discolored from brake dust adhesion...and thats it...:cool:

i replaced the factory tires at 87,000 miles...put on quieter dunlops (more street tread)...
i've replaced my front brake rotors once...
had 2 minor factory recalls (one had to do with liftgate latch, don't remember the other)...
i'm about to replace my front struts, rear shocks and sway bar links, simply due to high mileage...

i've average 20 mpg since the day i bought the truck.

cbenjamin03 08-24-2009 12:14 AM

Mazda Tribute Question

Mine is a 2002. I bought it used and have used it since then for pizza delivery. Other than strict, scheduled maintenance, it's perfect. Even after being hit on my front left side. I have put it through LOTS of abuse and the engine is a Ford Duratec 3.0 SFI DOHC engine with 165,000 miles.

02LXV6AWD 09-21-2009 09:03 AM

Mileage on Tribute

Hey all, my first post - coming from South Western Ontario Canada - snow belt from December to April.

I just picked up a 2002 Titanium Grey Tribute LX V6 AWD with almost 319,000 km. I was hesitant on purchasing it with the high mileage, but it drove amazingly well - no shimmy, no shake, rattle or roll. Engine is strong and transmission is responsive. It also doesn't leak fluids (a must for a condo owner).
Other than a rear wiper motor not working (seems to be popular with these), and the stereo display, all else works well, including the AC. I bought it for a winter vehicle only, which I'll ride on winter rubber, and I'm looking forward to the traction of AWD.

Former Mazda Protege5 owner (had 3 - loved them).

Cheers, Mark :)