Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

Help with Big 3 - getting at alternator

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 02:55 PM
Default Help with Big 3 - getting at alternator

I have a 2001 Tribute, and I want to do the Big 3 upgrade for the audio system I'm planning on installing. If you don't know, the big 3 is upgrading the wire from the alternator positive to battery positive, engine block to chassis, and battery negative to chassis. It will be done in 1/0awg wire.

My problem is getting at the alternator since it's at the bottom of the engine. I can't seem to reach it from underneath the car at all. And it's a bit of a reach from the top, but I think that's how I'll have to do it. If I can remove the black part i have circled I might be able to get at it easier but idk what it is or how much work that will be. Any suggestions?

Name:  DSCN6522-1.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  95.5 KB

Old 10-22-2009, 11:48 AM

I know the position of the alt is not the best - you have to remove the front right wheel and other stuff to get in there, which makes me think, maybe you can get to the wire from underneath the car, once you remove the protective undershield? Then snake it up?

Old 10-22-2009, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by doru
I know the position of the alt is not the best - you have to remove the front right wheel and other stuff to get in there, which makes me think, maybe you can get to the wire from underneath the car, once you remove the protective undershield? Then snake it up?
possibly, I'll have to take a look again. from what i can remember there's a lot of stuff in the way straight under it so idk...

Old 10-23-2009, 10:46 AM

You are right, and all that stuff is in the way of REMOVING the alt. So maybe only to re-wire, there might be enough space?