Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

Have a problem with my acceleration peddle.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 09:38 AM
Default Have a problem with my acceleration peddle.

Ok so you know how at the top of your acceleration peddle there is a cord that is connected to it that is supposed to be tight and its what makes you accelorate when you press the peddle down. Well some how thats loose so my peddle is just hanging there and i have no way to accelerate. It was fine last night when I drove to the gas station. Tried to drive this morning and found it that way so I have no idea whats happened to it . Anyone know how I can fix this on my own or will i need to take it to a shop?

Old 01-10-2019, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by NForg22
Ok so you know how at the top of your acceleration peddle there is a cord that is connected to it that is supposed to be tight and its what makes you accelorate when you press the peddle down. Well some how thats loose so my peddle is just hanging there and i have no way to accelerate. It was fine last night when I drove to the gas station. Tried to drive this morning and found it that way so I have no idea whats happened to it . Anyone know how I can fix this on my own or will i need to take it to a shop?
Sounds like the cable has snapped, the other end is under the plastic cover on the top of the engine, in the plastic quadrant on the throttle body, easy and quick to change out. I’ll post some pics if you want to do it yourself but should take a shop less than 15mins to change it.

Old 01-10-2019, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by simonsi

Sounds like the cable has snapped, the other end is under the plastic cover on the top of the engine, in the plastic quadrant on the throttle body, easy and quick to change out. I’ll post some pics if you want to do it yourself but should take a shop less than 15mins to change it.
Thank you. Pictures would be appreciated. Ill check it right after work.

Old 01-10-2019, 02:03 PM

Here is the cable on the engine, you may have to remove the engine cover if yours still has one, 8mm nuts, one on the left as you look at the engine and 2 on the right.

Throttle body cable quadrant

To unhook the cable, with the engine OFF rotate the quadrant counter-clockwise all the way, the silver cable will rise out of its groove on the quadrant and you can unhook it (the end of the cable is the little silver drum you can see the end of at the 6 o'clock position in the quadrant, the drum comes out of the quadrant towards you when the cable is pointing straight out of the quadrant.

Once unhooked there you can unhook it from the end of the throttle pedal and IIRC its just a pull on the outer cable at the firewall, then twist the outer cable 90deg in the bracket close to the quadrant (sorry, just out of the picture but should be clear when you have the engine cover off), then free the outer from a bracket over the top of the engine and its free. If your cable is fully snapped rather than frayed and stretched, then you may remove the engine bay end and the pedal end separately.

To refit push the pedal end through the firewall and seat the outer cable in the firewall, fit the end to the pedal inside the car, then work from the firewall outwards, fit it to the bracket, over the engine, twist into the bracket nearest the quadrant, then rotate the quadrant again and fit the silver drum on the cable end into the quadrant, let the quadrant slowly go back due to its spring and check the cable is seated in the groove and test. refit the engine cover, with the engine off, once you are happy.

Hope this helps.