Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

Anti-Theft Code Help

Old 09-18-2014, 02:55 PM
Question Anti-Theft Code Help

I just recently purchased a 2003 Mazda Tribute LX 4WD (3.0L V6 DOHC 24V). Ive had it only for about a week and there were no problems.

However... Starting yesterday morning I could not get the key to start the car. The vehicle does have a remote start, which is the only way I can start the vehicle, however I have not been able to figure out if it is aftermarket or not.

I also want to mention that while we had the vehicle hooked to the computer, we shut the car off by turning and removing the key and the engine stayed on.

Prior to the above the engine made a loud "squealing" noise and started idling at a high rpm on its own.

I've already researched other queries on this site so Im not going to waste time explaining everything that has been answered elsewhere. I did have my mechanic check for codes and this is what we got...

(I apologize if the descriptions are off, Im trying to decipher my mechanics handwriting).
P1000- Onboard -? II- Monitor Draw? Cycle Test Not Complete.
B1600- Passive Anti Theft Module Ignition Key Transponder Signal Is Not Received.
U1262- Standard Communication Protocol Communication Bus Malfunction.
P0705- Description Not Available.
B1352- Ignition Key-In Circuit Malfunction.

I was hoping someone could explain these codes to me. Im hoping this is a case as simple as getting it to a Mazda dealership and having the keys reprogrammed, as I have read about online.

Also, is this something that would be acceptable to hold the dealer I bought the vehicle from responsible for? I dont think I got a warranty on it, but I want to explore all options. Such as what it is going to cost me to get this situation fixed.

Also of note, sometimes, not every time, when the vehicle is running/driving, the battery indicator light is on. We checked the power and got: 14.25 Volts.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Dave

Old 09-19-2014, 07:31 AM
Super Moderator

Definitely take it to Mazda to get checked out. These cars have an issue with the main power cable from the Alternator corroding & burning out.