Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

3.0 Coolant Flush

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2022, 06:53 PM
Default 3.0 Coolant Flush

There's very few hits trying to search my thread title. My wif'e selling her '02 ES with a whole 85k miles to her sis (for quite a screaming low amount considering the stupid scary prices with the current used market). I'm putting it in as close to perfect maint. condition as possible and all's left is doing a COMPLETE coolant flush that's about 8-10 years old (but only ~25k miles in that time - in my defense).

I know I need 60:40, and I know to use only distilled water. After 6 cycles of run-drain-fill to get all the old stuff out I figure I'm there. The problem is that each jug shows the total quantity for each drain, and with only getting a maximum barely 4 qts. out and a 10.6 qt total capacity, that means I need at least 6 qts. of pure AF back in. Question: is there any hidden secret outside of removing the block drain plug (don't have a hex key big enough right now) to get the extra 2 qt.s purged up front without having to put in just a gallon and then wasting some of that by having to drain more again just to add 2 or 3 more of pure AF to arrive at the correct ratio? With the last cycle it looks short as the candy thermometer in the reservoir hit right at 190 when I got a big boil over so I figure it was pretty much plain water by then:

Is there a favorite hose to disconnect to suction a 1/2 gallon of the remaining?