Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

DIY coolant exchange: do you approve this method

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 07:42 PM
Default DIY coolant exchange: do you approve this method?

Here is what I am thinking on how to do a complete coolant exchange on the mazda3. Please review and see if you think it is safe and doable.

It is a two step process:

1. drain the radiator when car is cold, and then refill with distilled water;
2. i am taking advantage that coolant always flow to heater, and the heater return line runs thru the ATF cooler. So at this step, I'd disconnect the coolant line at the ATF cooler, get a 3/8in ID hose to direct coolant to waste bucket, and put the coolant hose into a fresh distilled water jug. Then I'd start the car, and watch coolant in the engine block and heater core to be pushed out. Distilled water is then going to be sucked into engine by water pump as the old coolant is pushed out. Once the flow is clear (i don't think it's going to take more than 5 min), i'd reconnect the coolant hose. At this stage, all the old coolant is swapped out with distilled water. I'd then drain the radiator again, and refill the radiator with full-strength new coolant. Radiator holds 1 gallon, and total capacity is 2 gallons, so we have a 50/50 mix.

What do you think?
________
MarciaSex

Last edited by wineye; 09-15-2011 at 05:41 PM.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator

WIN!!! Where have you been? I' was thinking about you just today and asked myself that question.
I also had some song lyrics in my head (Witchy Woman) that I had confused with another song/another band (Sarah Smile, Hall & Oates.) When at work today, I heard Witchy Woman on the overhead followed by a Hall & Oates song, but not Sarah Smile.
Weird, huh?

I do have an opinion about your post, but am soooo tired right now I can't truly think straight. I will have to get back to ya?

One question though: Would this method work on your airplane engines, which are surly water-cooled these days?

edit: Another... My 5th gear is getting harder to find than it used to be. How's that straight line, ratcheting shifter design coming?

Old 11-06-2010, 03:57 PM

Hi, Rich,

How r u doing in Texas?
I'm delinquent recently......tending many expected and unexpected things in life. Year 2010 is not treating me well......

As far as the aircraft engines go, they are still air cooled, and it'll probably stay that way for a longtime......

I usually do a complete coolant exchange thru the upper radiator hose, simply darin the rad, disconnect upper hose, redirect hose to waste bucket, and attach another hose to rad for filling purposes. When car is up to temp, old coolant is out, new water is in. stop until it's all clear, and then finish up by reconnecting the hoses back and drain the water from rad and fill it with full strength coolant.

I have that proposal doing it thru ATF cooler, it is because both ends of the upper rad hose are hidden. You could remove the stuff that covers the hose, and have at it as I described above, but it's hassle.

Anyways, happy motoring......
________
condominiums sale Pattaya

Last edited by wineye; 09-15-2011 at 05:41 PM.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:26 AM

That does seem like a good way to flush the fluid, and it should prevent any air getting in the system as well. I think i'll give this method a try, though i'd interrupt the tubing to the heater core instead, same difference and should allow a proper purge of fluid.
Though i'll be looking at the hose layout to see what the total flow through the system looks like before pulling hoses.