Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

2004 Tribute won't start

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 07:56 AM
Default 2004 Tribute won't start

Back in March, I had an issue with my 2004 Tribute where I was running errands all morning and it was running fine, then at one stop I got back in to start it and it wouldn't start. It would turn over, but sounded kind of rough and wouldn't fire. I probably tried starting it a dozen times or so. Finally, I called for a tow. While I was waiting for the tow truck (about 45 minutes), I put the car in neutral and let it roll down the parking lot a bit to get it into a better position for the tow truck. I then tried starting it once more right before the tow arrived and it fired right up! I drove it to the mechanic, who said that there really wasn't anything they could do unless they could replicate it or it was throwing a code. I drove it home and it was fine for a couple weeks.

About two weeks later, I was driving it and it started misfiring and the check engine light came on. I drove it directly to the mechanic and they diagnosed and replaced an ignition coil. It's driven and started fine all spring and summer since then until yesterday.

Yesterday, I made a stop while running errands, then came back to the car and it wouldn't start. Same issue as I had back in March. Again, I tried starting it over and over and it wouldn't start. Even let it sit for approximately two hours, then tried again and it still wouldn't start. Ended up having it towed to the mechanic last night. This morning, I called them to explain the issue and he said it fired right up for him! Again, he said there's not much he can do unless he can replicate the problem or it has a check engine code (it does not).

Any thoughts for me? Some things I've heard people mention are: Fuel Pump or Engine immobilizer. Not sure if either of these would be intermittent like this?

It's getting old being stranded by the vehicle and then have it fire right up for the mechanic after a tow, so I'm trying to figure out what to try. Thanks!

Here is a link showing what it sounds like when it won't start:

Last edited by moneymikey; 08-11-2017 at 07:57 AM. Reason: Add youtube link to video showing what the car sounds like