Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

2001 tribute starting issue

Old 05-11-2007, 09:30 AM
Default 2001 tribute starting issue

Hi all,

I have a Mazda tribute es v-6 4 x 4 01'

had weird issues lately. It started when I sent the vehicle back east for about 6 months. I purchased a new battery new tires and gave it a tune up. all was fine at that time. when I shipped it back I started having starting issues. I took it to a dealer and they charged me 125.00 to tell me it might be the battery. I went out and bought a new battery and it was fine for about 2 weeks. Then I read thru my manual and promply changed the starter/soleniod combo. All was fine for the past 2 months. Now I have the same issue again. I'll drive it stop, do shop shopping or whatever-come back and it wont start again. Weird!!
Although I bought and installed a new starter/solenoid, could it have gone bad after 2 months? The vehicle is in real good shape, and have kept up with all the oil changes etc. Dont know what it could be.

Another thing: when I turn the key I hear the fuel engage, all the lights come on, everything works except the starting. Maybe its the ignition switch?

any help would be appreciated

Old 05-11-2007, 12:03 PM
Default RE: 2001 tribute starting issue

Ignition switch, maybe an intermittent ground on the starter. Take a look at the ground wire coming off of the starter and see if there is any corrosion at either end. If the starter doesn't have a good ground, it doesn't have a good circuit.

Old 05-13-2007, 11:16 AM

I previously stated:

I went out and bought a new battery and it was fine for about 2 weeks. Then I read thru my manual and promply changed the starter/soleniod combo. All was fine for the past 2 months.

Let me elaborate;
I drove the vehicle, turned it off, came back after about 30mins then it wouldnt start!.
So I waited about 24hours, turned the key and walla it starts!
This was the exact same issue I had from the beginning, dont know what it could be. I could see if it would start and then not start every time I drove it. But thats not the case!
As previously stated, I changed the starter/solenoid combo as I thought it was getting too hot (soleniod) and as they come only as a combo- they both had to be changed.

Still at a loss. Dont think it could be an ignition switch (who knows!) as that would cause the starting issues all the time!

Any body?

Old 05-14-2007, 07:02 AM

Intermittent function generally points to a poor/weak ground. I still say track down your wiring.