Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

01 Trib lacks torque during acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 02:25 PM
Default 01 Trib lacks torque during acceleration

It seems over the past 2-3 weeks, I've noticed that my 4cyl 2001 tribute with a manual tranny seems to not accelerate as strong as it used to. I've bought it used in 2003 and have absolutely loved it! Currently, I'm at 171,000 miles!!!

Its like a loss of torque which is clearly notable in 1st and 2nd gear... where the car would usually jump to a start from a red light. Now, the car seems to take more time to build the momentum it had before. It still idles smooth and runs smooth, but simply seems to be running harder (rpms) to get there. I recently installed a remote starter and keyless entry, but don't think this would have anything to do with the acceleration problem.

I also think it runs at a higher rpm to maintain a speed on the highway... having run at about 2500 rpms for 55ish mph. now it seems like its running at 2700 rpms for the same speed.

I was told to change the fuel filter (2 yrs old) and trans. fluid (flush and fill which hasn't been done in at least 70,000 miles), but does anyonehave any other suggestions?

-Josh Sopczak
Racine, WI

Old 10-11-2008, 07:04 PM
Default RE: 01 Trib lacks torque during acceleration

Well, the transmission fluid can't be flushed and filled on your manual tranny. The flush-fill is only for automatics since most of the fluid remains in the torque converter and a simple drain will only net about 3 of the 12 quarts of old fluid. Pulling the plug on your manual tranny will drain all of the manual tranny fluid...which is probably just motor oil.

Regardless, your transmission fluid has absolutely nothing to do with your acceleration problem. Is your engine burning any oil? I am wondering with so many miles if your engine is just plain worn out, and doesn't have the compression it once had. That is something you could have done...a compression check on all of the cylinders. I would start with the fuel filter, though, as that makes sense, especially if it has never been changed! (it is supposed to be changed at 90K). Might want to try some fuel injector cleaner too.

Old 10-12-2008, 06:31 AM

Thanks for the thought! I just took it into my favorite fair repair shop and they did a free estimate. Almost immediately, when the tech turned on the car and began to pull it in, he rolled down my window and told me it was the clutch worn out. He took it in the shop to confirm his suspicions. They offered to fix it for $1100.

My grandfather works on his own cars along with an experienced friend and said we should be able to do it. I found the clutch set at advance auto parts for 208 and we will likely be installing it ourselves on Tuesday. I did, in advance, change the air filter (which looked clean anyway) and the fuel filter (last changed by me about 70,000 miles ago) and those had absolutely no effect.

Its almost comical, that the car takes about 30 seconds to accelerate to 60 MPH now! I'll be borrowing one of grandpa's minivans until we finish and will post on the result.

-Josh

Old 10-15-2008, 06:31 PM

Ah, so your clutch was slipping. That makes sense. Don't drive it too much, otherwise you'll lose all of the material on the clutch plates and the vehicle won't move at all!

It will be interesting to hear how this job goes. If your Trib is an AWD model, I would imagine that it won't be that easy...

Old 02-21-2012, 01:14 PM
Default Doing it again!

Well, I've worn out that last clutch... and now at 240,000 miles and running well. However, we replaced the clutch again in it and at first it was working really well. After about 2 months now, I am barely able to accelerate again. Aside from the clutch, what should I be looking for? The only thing I can think of checking tonight is if the oil is low... being that it is used for the clutch system as well. Any other ideas as to why I'm loosing all my torque/power?

Old 02-21-2012, 02:24 PM
Banned

Did you ever have the flywheel replaced! Or just machined.
Any oil getting on to clutch?---you could probably smell if this was happening.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:02 PM
Default Flywheel

No nasty smells... I did have some oil smells lately due to a little bit of oil leaking onto the engine. However, its not a burning clutch smell. We did end up having to machine the flywheel due to the fact that we couldn't find a flywheel that matched! Everyone local only had used automatic transmission flywheels... and thus, he suggested we just machine it. However, this is the original flywheel from even before my first replacement 3 years ago! Thus, the more I am researching today, the more I believe that it is the flywheel that is now too worn out or thin. I'm currently trying to find one online... but nobody seems to have them.... unless I'm looking under the wrong areas. If you know of a source, I'd be thrilled. Right now, I have a stage 2 clutch kit with the old machined flywheel.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:03 AM

What will changing the fuel filter do?

Old 10-01-2013, 04:05 PM

you will find a smell of oil