Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

loss of power during acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 08:00 PM
Default loss of power during acceleration

1998 protege, 1.8L. 190k on it. anyways, ive found lately ive been getting random losses of power. as in i will give it gas, and it wont do anything, and then suddenly i get a surge of power. to solve this i usually get off the gas completely and try again and it usually works. it happens randomly and usually occurs during acceleration from a very low speed or accelerating at the end of right turns (when im about to straighten back up). any ideas what this is?

and also when should spark plug wires be replaced. thanks.

Old 10-04-2007, 08:19 PM
Default RE: loss of power during acceleration

When was the last time you changed the fuel filter. These cars are very finicky about fuel pressure.

Plugs should be changed every 25,000 miles or yearly, whichever comes first. You should also do all fluids, especially Auto transmission fluid, yearly.

Old 10-04-2007, 10:28 PM

well i changed the sparks and fluids when i bought the car, im just wondering about the spark plug wires, if that will affect anything. as for the fuel pump and fuel filter, i havent changed either and not sure when they were last change. would you reccomend doing both or just one to solve my problems. keeping in mind im almost broke now.

Old 10-05-2007, 08:57 PM

Do the fuel filter. It is a pain in the butt job on a 1.8l. Here is a trick. Go from underneath the car to get it out. Once you get the screw out of the clamp, When you put in the new filter, instead of putting in the screw, use a couple of wire ties. It's easier to do and it makes it easier next time round.

If you haven't done the wires, you should. Or at least check to be sure you aren't cross firing against the blockIf you can shield them somehow, try it.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:43 AM

i just got done changing my fuel filter on my 1999 mazda protege and it was actually not to bad to change.(1) take the back seat out by lifting up on the seat and pulling until the seat pops off( two clips that hold it).(2) there is a plate with four screws, remove the screws and pull cover off. Before you go any further, go in the hood into your fuse box and pull the fuse for the fuel pump to relieve pressure and start the car and let it idle until it dies.(3) there are eight little screws about 3/4" long that hold the plate that the fuel pump is attached to, remove them. (4) remove gas hoses from ports and electric from clips, but have a rag on hand to catch the excess gas. (5) the sock is attached by a clip and snap that has to be pried from the top of it. Be careful when taking it off not to ruin it or lose it.You will need to put it back on new sock. Lastly attach new one and reverse directions.
(DONT forget to put fuse back in ) I used a Hanes manual and suggest getting one or borrowing one if you know someone. Enjoy.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:17 PM

Are you always running the A/C, and/or do you have issues with the engine idling properly?

Old 08-09-2008, 10:16 AM

they all do that at times, hesitate when you push it and stuff. sometimes ill floor mine and it'll shoot off sometimes itll take forever to build up the rpms. i think its just an issue with theNat.Asp. proteges atleast?

Old 10-12-2008, 06:33 AM

This happened with my tribute where the power wasn't being converted to torque. Turned out my clutch was dying fast.

Old 10-12-2008, 12:16 PM

yeah, this sounds more like a clutch or cv joint issue. you said it happens most often during turns, that is when cv joints tend to slip for the first time.

Old 04-18-2010, 04:59 PM
Default similar problem

i have a 92 protege with the same type symptom.....hesitation through right turns. i have replaced the fuel filter. it doesnt make any cv joint sounds and the clutch seems good. could the centrifugal force of the right hand turn be affecting the air flow sensor, make it seem as if less air volume is flowing?

Quick Reply: loss of power during acceleration