Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

Just snapped intake manifold bolt - is it going to hurt anything?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 08:50 PM
Default Just snapped intake manifold bolt - is it going to hurt anything?

Hey guys .. so i was replacing my plugs and putting my intake mani back on .. i thought the torque was 7 ft lbs then 13 ft lbs ... so i did 7 first, and my torque wrench broke .. then i tried 13 and my torque wrench never broke, i spun the bolt a few times and it didn't seem like it was getting tighter. after about 5 turns i heard a loud crack and my whole soul felt like it left my body.

I took the intake mani off and found out i snapped the #1 bolt. I thought i cracked the mani but i didn't.

Anyway i tried taking the screw out of the mani and it doesn't come out, the other piece of the bolt is still in the head or valve cover (whatever it is)

So final result i just torqued all the other bolts down, i drove it around the block all seemed fine, i didn't hear any rattles or weird suction like leaks.

Do i have anything to be worred about with this one snapped bolt?

Old 06-02-2019, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by boostmg
Hey guys .. so i was replacing my plugs and putting my intake mani back on .. i thought the torque was 7 ft lbs then 13 ft lbs ... so i did 7 first, and my torque wrench broke .. then i tried 13 and my torque wrench never broke, i spun the bolt a few times and it didn't seem like it was getting tighter. after about 5 turns i heard a loud crack and my whole soul felt like it left my body.

I took the intake mani off and found out i snapped the #1 bolt. I thought i cracked the mani but i didn't.

Anyway i tried taking the screw out of the mani and it doesn't come out, the other piece of the bolt is still in the head or valve cover (whatever it is)

So final result i just torqued all the other bolts down, i drove it around the block all seemed fine, i didn't hear any rattles or weird suction like leaks.

Do i have anything to be worred about with this one snapped bolt?
Nothing to worry about unless you start to get a vacuum leak there over time, if you fitted new gaskets then that may be a long time. That said, with the manifold off its easy access to drill out the centre of the bolt and remove it, then replace. The torque setting on those is no more than firm hand tight effectively. It is an end bolt yes? Would be better if one of the middle ones but life is never fair.

Old 06-03-2019, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by simonsi
Nothing to worry about unless you start to get a vacuum leak there over time, if you fitted new gaskets then that may be a long time. That said, with the manifold off its easy access to drill out the centre of the bolt and remove it, then replace. The torque setting on those is no more than firm hand tight effectively. It is an end bolt yes? Would be better if one of the middle ones but life is never fair.
I used brand new gaskets. It’s actually the exact middle bolt. The first one your supposed to torque down right in the center. All the other bolts are fine.

in the future as you said it probably should be easy to drill out (I’ve never used bolt removal tools before)

however i was reading you would have to replace the whole manifold?

im not sure how you would get the other snapped bolt out of the manifold or a new one in.

Old 06-03-2019, 05:50 AM

I used brand new gaskets. It’s actually the exact middle bolt. The first one your supposed to torque down right in the center. All the other bolts are fine.

in the future as you said it probably should be easy to drill out (I’ve never used bolt removal tools before)

however i was reading you would have to replace the whole manifold?

im not sure how you would get the other snapped bolt out of the manifold or a new one in.
IIRC the bolts go into a threaded insert (brass??) that is set into the plastic lower manifold. You can drill down th centre of the bolt stub until it either goes loose and can be screwed out or it becomes just the thread itsrlf and it can be pulled out. Removal kits use a left-handed thread so you drill a pilot hole in the bolt stub and screw in the self-tapping extractor until hopefully it starts to unscrew the bolt.

If the dntre bolt then it has pressure from the bolts either side so may never leak, especially with new gaskets...

Old 06-03-2019, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by simonsi
IIRC the bolts go into a threaded insert (brass??) that is set into the plastic lower manifold. You can drill down th centre of the bolt stub until it either goes loose and can be screwed out or it becomes just the thread itsrlf and it can be pulled out. Removal kits use a left-handed thread so you drill a pilot hole in the bolt stub and screw in the self-tapping extractor until hopefully it starts to unscrew the bolt.

If the dntre bolt then it has pressure from the bolts either side so may never leak, especially with new gaskets...
Yep ur exactly right there is brass insert it goes into.

and yea it’s the dead center bolt. That’s why i had my fingers crossed nothing would happen. Worst case i thought it would rattle bc of the loose top bolt.

but nothing, I’ll keep an eye on it and knock on wood.

if a vac leak did occur how would i know and what symptoms would that cause?

Old 06-03-2019, 02:17 PM

if a vac leak did occur how would i know and what symptoms would that cause?
It would probably log a misfire code for either cylinder on each side of the bolt. If you feel a hesitation then get it sorted as Ive personally had a mild misfire caused by a coil, only in o/d when driving up a shallow incline - but no codes logged for it.