Mazda RX-8 This new generation of the famed rotary car offers extra room, with the peformance and feel of performance car.

Question about the Mazda policy

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 12:58 PM
Default Question about the Mazda policy

Hello Rx8 enthusiasts,

I own an rx8, and I've been having alot of problems with my rx8, since the time I bought it! Its either engine or transmission problems. The car keeps jerking on third gear. The gear won't shift down from 2nd gear to 1st when Im making a turn at a corner of the street and it just lags the heck out and won't rev up quick. The gear gets stuck on 3rd gear when I rev up on third gear ( upto 70mph) and when I let go of the accelerator and it won't downshift at all even though im going below 15mph from 70mph I've been on. I've heard from a friend who works at the mazda dealer that some car companies have this policy about if you take the car 3 or more times to the dealer for the same damn problem they will replace your car for the same new car, I don't know how far that is true but he says the ford company used to do that years back. My question to you is does Mazda have that kind of a policy as to if they would replace my car for a new rx8 since I'm having to take my car so many times for the same damn problem? it has already been 3-4 times. Please reply soon! Thanks.

Rx8 Enthusiast!
Abhilash

Old 09-02-2008, 01:56 PM
Default RE: Question about the Mazda policy

Unfortunately, it sounds that you may have acquired a lemon. What year is the car, & what is the mileage?

Old 09-02-2008, 02:28 PM

The year of my car is an 05, 4 speed automatic sport. The mileage is around 56-57gs.

Old 09-16-2008, 07:21 PM

Are you manually shifting your AT or is it in auto mode? Not sure how relevant this is to the AT, but in any MT you can't downshift if the gear you are trying to shift to is too low for the engine spin. I only bring this up because you are talking about being unable to shift to 1st while moving and unable to downshift from 3rd to 2nd after revving up in 3rd gear. Try engine braking down to the lower rpm range and see if it will downshift then. I doubt that this is the problem though, just trying to rule out the obvious.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:57 PM
Super Moderator

It sounds like he's got an autostick. And the Lemon Laws are Federal as well asState by State, I believe. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemon_law The car manufacturer's would certainly not volunteer to replace your car on their own.
An 05 w/a lot of miles is gonna be a hard sell too, IMHO. If a dealer can't fix it for you it may be lawyer time. If it's out of warranty, and it sounds like it is you may also be SOL.
Is this a new problem? One that just started? Did you just buy this car?