Mazda RX-7 Starting in the 1970s, the uniquely powered RX-7 helped put Mazda on the performance car map.

Rotary and Nitrous, good or bad???

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 01:33 PM
Default Rotary and Nitrous, good or bad???

I just picked up a good 'ol 2 rotor RX-7 for cheap and want to have a little fun in it without spending alot of money, time, etc (so my first thought is nitrous). What are your thoughts, experiences, insights to nitrous on rotarys???

Old 10-27-2008, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Rotary and Nitrous, good or bad???

I would think bad. Not a good idea w/o a rebuild designed to handle it. But what do I know?
To me the apex seals seem like the weak link in any rotary and that much pressure could blow them out or at least cause problems.
You would almost certainly be going through much more engine oil.

Old 10-27-2008, 05:46 PM

i don't advise it. i would recommend an alcohol/methanol injection kit over nitrous, but if you do go with nitrous, take the extra time and money and go with a wet kit.

Old 10-28-2008, 07:31 AM

Make sure the motor is healthy enough to handle the nitrous. Have a compression check done first. When I had my FC , I ran a 50dry shot no problem. I had T2 injectors on the secondaries & a T2 pump. But like wsoape281 said, a wet system may be better for you.

Old 12-24-2008, 07:52 PM

Well I guess to start out. I've been into rotary's for over 13 years. Have had my own shop. Owned over 10 rotary cars.
This is just my opinion over the years. So I'm not really telling you not to. Its your car
Yet though you can install nitrous on a rotary engine. And if the engine is in good condition. Your rotary engine will probably last longer than if the
condition is poor. But the real reason is since the apex seals will go through multiple really cold and hot cycles really fast. It makes the apex seals
brittle, and can easily be broken. The apex seals are not a week point of a rotary engine. I have never blown a rotary engine in my 13 years of working
on them. Including customer cars. Mazda and some other companies have done a great job in advancement over the years
So I guess its up to you. If you’re looking for a quick power booster (when you have the money to fill the nitrous bottle) I guess it would work. But in the
long run it will cost you more money than your probably willing to put into it.

I guess the real questions are:
What do i want to use this car for?
Am I rotary enthusiast or sports car enthusiast?
How long do I plan to keep the car?
What kind of condition is the car in (undercarriage rust) ?

Anyways good luck with your project. If have any questions other than nitrous. Feel free to ask

Old 01-01-2009, 03:51 PM

Nitrous + Rotary = Bad

There are other ways to make the rotary quick and reliable. If you want to keep your rotary for a while, without spending quite a bit on a motor rebuild, I would suggest not putting nitrous on it.