Mazda RX-7 Starting in the 1970s, the uniquely powered RX-7 helped put Mazda on the performance car map.

Oil Metering Pump Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 04:46 AM
Default Oil Metering Pump Problems

Recently I replaced my water pump. During the process I found a bad oil metering line, which I replaced. After reassembling the car and starting it, I noticed the oil metering pump lines remain dry. The pump worked before the water pump replacement, so I have to wonder if the pump needs to be primed, or I missed connecting something back up. The pump is electrical, but I have not figured out how it gets power, or how to test the pump. A replacement pump, from Mazda was quoted at $1800.00. Seems steep... If anyone has a suggestion, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

1990 RX7 Convertible, Non-Turbo

Old 08-29-2005, 04:41 AM
Default RE: Oil Metering Pump Problems

The oil metering pump does not to be primed regardless of the year. The lines may appear to be dry after repairs with no oil in them but go ahead and start up engine and run for a while. The pump is fairly dependend on the amount of throttle given to the carb or fuel injection system. Mechanical linkage used for 1st and 2nd gen for throttle signal. 3rd gen used electrical signal. What year is your 7? Will guess at 3rd gen based on price quote for replacement pump if for part only.If lines remain dry after running for more then 10-20 minutes of runtime then shut engine down and see what is going on. I doubt replacing the water pump had any effect on the oil metering pump unless in the process you have disconnected the metering pump linkage. Again, what year is your 7? This will help considerably.

Old 08-29-2005, 01:31 PM
roo

I was [:-] to see that the metering pump is over $1600, even with the discount given to members of this board. This is based on the '90 RX-7 in the signature of OP, and it being a convertible, it would be a non-turbo edition.

Old 08-30-2005, 04:53 AM

What in the heck was I looking at. I see right there at the bottom 90 convertible. Thanks roo.Would obviously not then be a linkage concern. Will give a check in the AM to see where power comes from and so on. Have not really seen alot of problems with pumps outside of leaks in the past.

Old 08-31-2005, 10:50 PM

Got a chance to look today on pump. The pump is powered by the main relay and if that was bad you would have a LOT more problems than this. All other inputs and outputs are controled by the PCM. Double check to make sure you have not accidently partiall unplugged any connectors down at the pump as it is right in the area.