Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Wondering at stalling and RPM levels (70 mph)

Old 12-27-2011, 05:58 PM
Default Wondering at stalling and RPM levels (70 mph)

I recently bought a 2000 Mazda Protege LX (1.6L 5speed). Before I changed timing belt, plugs, COP, water pump, drive belts the car idled fine.

Now after I double checked timing belt installation, reset computer, and went through a drive cycle for the computer to relearn settings the car idles rough and sometimes dies. I checked all connections and am wondering if the car needs more time to relearn settings.

Out on the highway it drove fine except that at about 70 mph the RPM's were at about 3300 RPM. I don't know if that is normal for this car and engine. Again I don't know if the computer needs more time to relearn settings.

Any input would be appreciated.

My drive cycle consisted of the following:

1. As soon as the engine starts, idle the engine in drive for two and a half minutes with the A/C and rear defrost on. (OBDII checks oxygen sensor heater circuits, air pump and EVAP purge.)

2. Turn the A/C and rear defrost off, and accelerate to 55 mph at half throttle. (OBDII checks for ignition misfire,
fuel trim and canister purge.)

3. Hold at a steady state speed of 55 mph for three minutes. (OBDII monitors EGR, air pump, O2 sensors and canister purge.)

4. Decelerate (coast down) to 20 mph without braking or depressing the clutch. (OBDII checks EGR and purge functions.)

5. Accelerate back to 55 to 60 mph at ¾ throttle. (OBDII checks misfire, fuel trim and purge again.)

6. Hold at a steady speed of 55 to 60 mph for five minutes.
(OBDII monitors catalytic converter efficiency, misfire, EGR, fuel trim, oxygen sensors and purge functions.)

7. Decelerate (coast down) to a stop without braking. (OBDII makes a final check of EGR and canister purge.)

Old 12-27-2011, 08:54 PM

I am sure it should not idle rough and die after your tune up. I think there is something else not right.
Look for vacuum leaks, in particular the air intake snorkel, look for EGR issues (clogged ports, carbon build up in the canals, plugged nipple for the vacuum hose that goes to the EGR boost sensor) clean air filter, clean MAF sensor.
3300 rpm at 70 seems reasonable to me. It is very close to what my '98 does. Since it is a manual the rpm is locked to the speed unless the clutch slips.
I think you know the computer's relearning process better than I do. Thanks for posting it.