Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Stereo Installation

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 03:45 PM
Default Stereo Installation

I just purchased a new headunit to replace the stock stereo that was in it. It's being shipped and should be here in a day or two. Is there anything I should know before installing it? Mine Protege also came with a cassette player if that makes a difference. On the site I ordered from it said that a modification is needed, that I need to take something out or bend something so it fits correctly? Anyone ever replace their stereo haha? Thanks!

Old 03-03-2008, 06:28 PM
Default RE: Stereo Installation

the main thing is that you need to get the tools to remove the stock stereo. i have tried this without the tools and it is hard as hell. the tools are about 5 bucks a pair and you will need two pairs of tools. they make life a lot easier, trust me. you don't need or want to take the stereo surround off because it is really hard to take off and even harder to get back on. for the modification thing, just go and get a dash install kit and modify it from there if you need to. most likely, you won't need to. just get your wiring harness in order on the back of the stereo before you pull anything out and you will just be able to drop the new one in.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:25 PM

the 2 metal U shaped pieces? if so theyre sending those and the wiring harness for free with the stereo. crutchfield.com or something theyre a really nice site....stereo surround? i guess you mean the molding around it i wasnt planning on that at all just a slip in but their site said about the mod needed and i didnt know with the casette player being in there too, i can just get rid of the casette player and find a cover for it?

Old 03-03-2008, 10:31 PM

yeah, just go down to best buy or circuit city and get a dash install kit. the tape player should come out with everything else, so you will need either a DIN or double DIN adapter, depending on what size your stereo is. that is cool that they are sending the tools with the stereo. most of the places that i deal with don't even have them. i have to make an inconvenient stop at the auto parts store and put off my install beers for a few more minutes.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:19 PM

Well considering there are no dash install kitsthat fit the 2000 Protege? haha. and DIN adapter?