Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Starting Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 11:12 AM
Default Starting Trouble

Hi,
I have a 1997 Protege LX, 1.5L . has 79K miles on it (owned since 47K). Over the last several months it has developed this nagging starting problem. Let me describe it a bit :

Mostly happens in mornings or long hours of parking. Car will not idle after turning ignition. Cranks well spark seems to be delivered, but as it tries to turn over and idle (like it should) it just dies. If I press the gas pedal half way / fully down it would start and idle most of the time. But WAIT. Even that's becoming a rare occurence. Now i have to gently hold down the gas pedal for like 2 minutes AT LEAST (yes engine starts warming up without moving an inch) and only then can I let go the gas pedal and the car will now idle on its own. This occured throughout last winter (New England winter !!) , although notably it did not happen on the most dry and cold days. But now it happened all spring and we have summer , and the problem seemed to have dissapeared until we get a few mild days when the temperature drops below 70deg F (mostly because of rain) and in the morning same story.

I tried showing it to 2 independent mechanics (one specializing in Japanese makes) and both dont know what's wrong . Can't blame one of them, the starting problem disappeared for the 2 days the car sat in his garage !!

Now, I am just worried I am going to cause some engine damage here, if I keep firing it up with the gas pedal down every other day. If anyone has any suggestions , it would be really helpful

Thanks

Old 06-29-2007, 11:07 PM
Default RE: Starting Trouble

Hi Mazdagal,

If I were to start looking, I would start with the fuel line, since the way you are starting the car is the same thing you would do if it where flooded. I've been driving a 1996 ES from new and one thing I found out early is that these cars are very particular on the fuel filter. This should be a short money change and probably hasn't been done since 1997. Shouldn't cost you much more than $125. If you haven't done the plugs, cap and rotor in a long time, I would get those donetoo. Basically, what you want to do is eliminate the obvious before going after the more expensive stuff like fuel pumps and the like. Do you have a "check engine" light on???