Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

replacement speakers

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 11:09 AM
Default replacement speakers

i just replaced the factory pioneer speakers with newer after market pioneer speakers and now the radio wont turn on at all! its not even showing the clock!whats going on!? the fuse is fine! this has me so pissed and puzzled!
WHAT HAPPENED!

Old 10-30-2011, 08:38 PM

I don't know what happened.
I would take the radio out and use a multimeter to see if there is power at the plug. If it doesn't search for the short or faulty contact/wire.
If there is power I would check if the ground connection is good. If there is power and a good ground connection then the radio has an internal fault. I would not know how to fix that, but there are places that will recondition some radios.
I would probably buy a radio from the junk yard or a new after market unit.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:58 PM

i did have to clip the existing wiring harness to the speakers but there was no power on. the key wasnt even in the ignition. im wondering if the head unit reads if the polarity would be backwards. since both speakers were pioneer i pu tthe wires back on the same way they came off the factory pios.
is there a simple way to remove this unit w/o the special tool the workshop manual says it requires.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:11 AM

just and fyi. the radio fuse wasnt my problem. it was the interior lighting fuse. its part of the radio system. when i replaced the rear dash cover i pinched the wires going to the trunk light. the radio fires right up!
thanks for your time !
respectfully,
phil

Old 10-31-2011, 08:12 AM

any suggestions on the easiest way to rout the amp power wire from the battery to the interior?

Old 10-31-2011, 04:54 PM

I am glad you got it going, Hellbound.

There should be a wiring harness running through a grommet in the firewall. I would fish the power cable through there, inside the grommet but outside of the harness. You could try a wire coat hanger. Make a tight loop and push the loop through, then put the cable in the loop at the other side. The cable itself should make a loop. Then you can pull the cable through the fire wall with the coat hanger. Then you make the connection to the amp and reduce the slack of the cable by pulling it. But don't make it all tight. Then you can route the cable to the battery. Don't forget to put in a fuse.