Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Replaced timing set, 2.0L will not start.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2023, 11:34 AM
Unhappy Replaced timing set, 2.0L will not start.

My granddaughter was driving this vehicle on the interstate and as they exited the engine shut down. They told me the battery was dead so they decided to go ahead and replace it which they did clearing all of the residual engine codes. It was due for a belt replacement and I had all of it in the shop to do it but it had to be driven just "one more time". When I went to pick it up hoping the alternator died and it lost the battery I turned it over it was spitting back like it had jumped time so I brought it home and took the valve cover off to find the outer edge of the belt eaten up from trying to walk off the camshaft gears. Apparently what was holding it on was rubbing against the camshaft sensor. Getting further into it looked as though the spring to the idler had failed at about 65,000 miles on a Dayco kit but it appeared to still be in time. Replaced all of it again and water pump, triple-checked timing, and turned it over. Getting the exact same push-back as before as if no fuel or fire. Fuel pump, pressure regulator, and pressure damper are brand new. What could have catastrophically failed, probably in the electrical system, that I'm missing and remember I have no codes to check. Car has 240,000 miles on it, we've had it since new and it's always had everything done on time. I'm just trying to let it get a kid through college.

And yes I did replace the cam sensor

Last edited by depmike38; 10-16-2023 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Left something off