Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Engine bogs & quits on accleration

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 06:14 PM
Default Engine bogs & quits on accleration

Hi all-

Model: 99 Protege LX, 1.6 DOHC

Problem: When I open the throttle the engine bogs down, sometimes backfires, and eventually quits. If I turn the car on and leave it running without accelerating it can run all day long just fine.

What I've Tried: Replaced MAF sensor w/new OE MAF sensor, cleaned out the EGR, and removed the converter to see if it was clogged.

Biggest Mistake: Not holding cams in position when I replaced the timing belt. Haynes and AllData had different timing settings but I tried both anyways.

Any help is deeply appreciated as I have turned the replacement of the alternator into a $600 nightmare 2 weeks later.
Thanx, superman.

Old 03-12-2006, 02:45 PM
Default RE: Engine bogs & quits on accleration

Hey Super, your info is a little unclear about when you started having this problem. After the timing belt change? If your cams moved, I'm not sure but maybe your timing on the distributor could be off.

Old 03-13-2006, 05:05 PM

Long story short, I needed to replace the water pump which is behind the timing belt. Thats when I should have held the cams in place but didn't. Also, this model has coil packs, no distributor.

Old 03-14-2006, 11:06 PM

But did the engine run fine before the cam belt replace and now runs terrible when revving?? At what point in the repair process did you notice the engine not running right?

Old 03-15-2006, 11:43 PM

Yes the engine ran perfectly fine. We noticed the problem at the moment we turned the car after putting the new water pump.

Old 03-16-2006, 02:15 PM

ORIGINAL: superMan

Hi all-

Model: 99 Protege LX, 1.6 DOHC

Problem: When I open the throttle the engine bogs down, sometimes backfires, and eventually quits. If I turn the car on and leave it running without accelerating it can run all day long just fine. (you are off timing!)

What I've Tried: Replaced MAF sensor w/new OE MAF sensor, cleaned out the EGR, and removed the converter to see if it was clogged.(MAf and o2 will provide a check engine light on for the most part. Clogget cat will cause lack of power but not backfire. You can check vacumm for this)

Biggest Mistake: Not holding cams in position when I replaced the timing belt. Haynes and AllData had different timing settings but I tried both anyways. (You are off timing, go back and check)

Any help is deeply appreciated as I have turned the replacement of the alternator into a $600 nightmare 2 weeks later.
Thanx, superman.

Old 03-17-2006, 11:13 PM

Would be most suspect of perhaps incorrect cam timing as the belt would have been removed to replace the water pump. I know is a pain in the rear to get back in there but sound like a very good possibility that one or both of the cams could be off a tooth or so.

Old 03-21-2006, 11:29 PM
Default Help please....RE: Engine bogs & quits on accleration

babyHuey and u.dick, thanx for your input I will make sure to take extra care when doing the timing.

In the mean time I took the head off so that a mechanic could check out the valves. He checked the valves and said they were fine. A couple people have now suggested that I check my coil packs. Any comments/suggestions?

Old 03-22-2006, 12:07 AM
Default RE: Help please....RE: Engine bogs & quits on accleration

Removing the cyl head is definetly the hardest way to check the valves! You could have run a compression check much easier. Did you check to make sure all timing marks were lined up properly before removal of the belt? It sure sounds like the timing belt was off as stated before. The coil packs do not become defective just sitting there if they were doing good before.

Old 03-22-2006, 01:03 AM
Default RE: Help please....RE: Engine bogs & quits on accleration

Yeah we did the compression test first. The first piston registered a complete 360 and probably would have gone more. The 2nd, 3rd, and 4th ones all registered within the allowed range of each other, although each succeeding piston did register slightly lower than the previous.

We checked all the timing marks to a T. When we manually cranked, after setting the timing, the marks were exactly where the needed to be.......all exactly per the instructions.

Quick Reply: Engine bogs & quits on accleration