Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

PS pump tensioner issue / 2000 Protege

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 04:07 PM
Default PS pump tensioner issue / 2000 Protege

Hey guys,

So I was trying to replace my alternator belt the other week, and in the process I was trying to loosen the slide tensioner on the power steering pump (the one just below the pulley). I guess it had seized up or something, and in the process I stripped the bolt head.

Is there any other way of removing/replacing the power steering pump belt in order to access the alternator belt?

My first thought was possibly the crankshaft pulley, but I was hoping that there was an easier way.

Old 02-20-2014, 05:01 PM

In the end you need to get that stripped bolt out anyway. Without that you can't adjust the belt tension.
One of the best penetrating oil concoctions is 50:50 acetone and tranny fluid. Teh acetone really gets into crevices and carries the oil with it. The acetone evaporates, the oil stays.

Not a nice situation. I once had to get a special stud removed from a Chevy Cavalier. It cost me about $200 in the early 90's.

Old 02-20-2014, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by tanprotege
In the end you need to get that stripped bolt out anyway. Without that you can't adjust the belt tension.
One of the best penetrating oil concoctions is 50:50 acetone and tranny fluid. Teh acetone really gets into crevices and carries the oil with it. The acetone evaporates, the oil stays.

Not a nice situation. I once had to get a special stud removed from a Chevy Cavalier. It cost me about $200 in the early 90's.
I'll have to see if I can cut the bolt off then. It's just that there's not a lot of room for error in doing so. Also I can't seem to find another replacement if I am to cut it off. It's (B) on this diagram:

Name:  MkURUVN.png
Views: 261
Size:  55.9 KB

Old 02-21-2014, 07:37 AM

I looked at the very same diagram and I know how tight it is there. If there is anything left on that bolt head try the penetrating oil and vise grips.
It probably won't work.
Then remove A and C and get an angle grinder or die grinder and cut off the head of B to remove the tensioner bracket. Now you should be able to push the pump out of the way and get a vise grip on the stump that's left. If that doesn't work you may need to weld a nut on it. I would give that job to a shop that carries insurance.

Best of luck!

I just looked at it one more time. You may be able to get away without that bolt. I know that A and C have a pretty good hold on the bracket. So you can try cutting the head off B. Adjust tension with D and tighten A and C (but don't strip those!). For good measure check often and keep your fingers crossed. Also keep soaking it with penetrating oil and try getting it out later.

Last edited by tanprotege; 02-21-2014 at 07:47 AM.