Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Protege- MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR QUESTION!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2004, 11:18 AM
Default Protege- MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR QUESTION!!!!

Hi everyone! I'm new to this board, but really need your help.

I have a 2000 Mazda Protege....my check engine light was on, and it originally said it was the oxygen sensor, so a friend of mine replaced it for me.

Well- the light is on again, and big mistake- i took it to pepboys and they tried to take me for a ride - plus the mechanic couldn't speak english so he tried to get me to buy all this stuff but couldn't explain what was wrong w/ the car. I finally raised hell w/ the manager and he finally explained that the only thing I need to have fixed is the Mass Air Flow Sensor.

Their prices were way beyond what I could afford at the time- and so I decided to wait. Well my car is hestatting pretty bad right now- and so I'm going to need to get it fixed.

Is there a map somewhere of where exactly the mass air flow sensor is located under the hood? I was going to go ahead and buy the part from that mazda part website- It's only $88 instead of $120 at pepboys for the part. and then i was goign to have my buddy put it in for me - as long as it's not too difficult to put in.

Any mechanics in here- I'd greatly appreciate any input!

Thanks!

C

Old 02-03-2005, 01:07 PM
Default RE: Protege- MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR QUESTION!!!!

THERE IS AN EXTENDED PART WARRANTY FOR THAT ....CALL YOUR LOCAL MAZDA DEALER,IVE CHANGED MANY

Old 07-31-2005, 11:07 PM

Sir--
Speaking of MAF sensors...do you have an opinion of using K and N airfilters? I have 03 Protege ES and have been warned no to use the K and N's due to the oil in the filter and its ability to screw up this sensor. I am looking for a few extra HP and know these filters can help a little. Your opinion would be appreciated. Also, any thought or experience with computer chips that could help with HP without screwing up factory settings/specs. Thanks for the help.

Old 08-01-2005, 02:30 PM

I had problems with my O2 sensor also that really costed more then it should have so your not the only one. I bought my 99' used back in 2001 and the check engine light was on when sold, but I was told to bring back in a week. So I did and they "fixed" it. A few days later, the light was back on and I took it back in. They weren't a Mazda dealership so they had it sent over to one who also "fixed" the problem. When I got it back, the light was off for atleast a week, but then came on again. At this point, I grew frustrated and just gave up. Year later when getting the inspection, I was charged almost $400 for replacing it properly. When I talked to my mechanic (who is awesome) he showed my the old sensor. Apparently, both dealerships thought it was a good idea to buy a sensor from pep boys and splice it in using electrical tape. I was actually able to see where each dealer did their work because it was all there still. I believed that if the dealership sold you a car with a problem and they promised to fix it, then they should, but they never did and I was a teenager now in even more debt. So my suggestion, don't bother with dealerships, go to a trusted mechanic or friend. Goodluck with your car.

Old 08-07-2005, 08:11 PM

The mass air flow sensor is located on top of your air cleaner housing. Has two phillips screws holding it into place. There is a warrany extension but only applies to the 1.6l engine and is only good for 7 years or 70,000 miles from original in service date. K@N filters are not recommended by mazda as the oil can tend to contaminate the sensor wires. Have not seen any fails in the service field yet so try at your own risk. Cold air intake systems can also increase your power or so I have been told by owners who have installed them but they too can create idle problems (which I have seen), because they disrupt the air flow pattern past the sensor as compared to the OE flow engineered air box. If your car is now out of the extended warranty range, I have had really good luck in cleaning them with non-clorinated brake cleaner available from parts store. Just remove the sensor and look up inside. The wires visible there should be shiny silver and not black or 'fuzzy'. Clean with bursts from the brake cleaner and then allow to dry. DO NOT touch the wires, only clean with the spray. Reinstall semsor, disconnect negative battery cable for a minute to clear the engine computer memory of the code, check engine light and bad fuel trim numbers. drive and see how it feels.