Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Problem with my car!

Old 04-14-2013, 05:58 PM
Default Problem with my car!

So the issue is that I installed today a KN Air Filter but the car wont start from the first time it usually starts the second time but once started there is no problem at all! I dont know what it is
Edit: This is with the Air Filter sensor discconected if I connected it the car will begin to like jerk around like wanting to turn off and eventually turn off and doesnt start at all. Bad sensor? New filter doesnt match the car? other problem?

Last edited by Berto24; 04-15-2013 at 12:55 AM.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:18 PM
Former Sponsor

https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/maz...itating-16699/

Sounds like you may have to try cleaning the Mass air flow sensor and see if the problem goes away.

Old 04-20-2013, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by go-part
https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/maz...itating-16699/

Sounds like you may have to try cleaning the Mass air flow sensor and see if the problem goes away.
Thanks for the answer but already done that! its still having problems. I take it to the mechanic and he couldn't find what it is

Old 04-21-2013, 07:51 AM

If it ran before you changed the filter and it does not run right now than there is something wrong with the way the new filter was installed or with the new filter itself.

Do you still have the old filter? Put it back in to verify that it runs correctly.

Make sure there is no vacuum leak anywhere between the MAF sensor and the head. Mybe you forgot to reattach a hose?

Old 04-29-2013, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by tanprotege
If it ran before you changed the filter and it does not run right now than there is something wrong with the way the new filter was installed or with the new filter itself.

Do you still have the old filter? Put it back in to verify that it runs correctly.

Make sure there is no vacuum leak anywhere between the MAF sensor and the head. Mybe you forgot to reattach a hose?
Ichecked all hoses, no leak whatsoever, I remove the MAF sensor and I clean it but same problem, clarification this is a round 3" air filter btw. I decided to put the old filter back on and Poom magic like new. The point is that today I decided to purchase the panel Kn air filter and what do you think? It works fine! and sounds good! Okay, just wanted to point out that I read about some symptoms about a bad MAF sensor and it says rough idle its one of the symptoms and my car vibrates like crazy in idle and making my memory this sensor hasn't been change so it has aprox 133,000 miles, so to resume things I believe it was the sensor all along.

Old 04-29-2013, 04:58 PM
Banned
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Berto24
, clarification this is a round 3" air filter btw. I decided to put the old filter back on and Poom magic like new. The point is that today I decided to purchase the panel Kn air filter and what do you think? It works fine! and sounds good! .
There is a HUGE difference between installing a K&N filter and a K&N intake!
When installing a K&N intake, there are vac lines that must be plugged and possibly a solenoid that to to be removed from factory box and still plugged in electrically even though it is not hooked up with vacuum lines!

This is why it is important in the details and post pics!

Attached Thumbnails Problem with my car!-enough.jpg   Problem with my car!-homersimpsondoh.jpg   Problem with my car!-stickeradds15hp.jpg   Problem with my car!-wile-e-coyotehelp.jpg  
Old 04-29-2013, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by UseYourNoggin
There is a HUGE difference between installing a K&N filter and a K&N intake!
When installing a K&N intake, there are vac lines that must be plugged and possibly a solenoid that to to be removed from factory box and still plugged in electrically even though it is not hooked up with vacuum lines!

This is why it is important in the details and post pics!
Here you go pic of the intake! Problem with my car!-img_0209-1024x741-.jpg

Last edited by Berto24; 04-30-2013 at 10:18 AM.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:58 AM
Banned

READ: https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/new...cs-post-30904/ to learn how to load a pic we can see.

If it's a K&N intake for that vehicle it should be fine. If it's a no-name intake with a K&N filter you may have problems.
You may need to get an air straightener: AEM Mass Air Flow Straightener

Again, vaccuum lines that went to your stock air box must be plugged. Any solenoid attached to your stock air box must be removed from air box and left plugged in somewhere under the hood!

That SRI (short ram intake) will not benefit you. After driving around in the city for 10 minutes or so, you will experience Heat Soak. Which means you will have no power. You will be sucking in very hot air from under the hood which is in direct path from the rad fan. I know, i've been there. You need to create a baffle which prevents hot air from rad fan getting to it which must be sealed to the hood.
SEE MY PICS:

Last edited by UseYourNoggin; 04-30-2013 at 08:29 AM.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Berto24
Ichecked all hoses, no leak whatsoever, I remove the MAF sensor and I clean it but same problem, clarification this is a round 3" air filter btw. I decided to put the old filter back on and Poom magic like new. The point is that today I decided to purchase the panel Kn air filter and what do you think? It works fine! and sounds good! Okay, just wanted to point out that I read about some symptoms about a bad MAF sensor and it says rough idle its one of the symptoms and my car vibrates like crazy in idle and making my memory this sensor hasn't been change so it has aprox 133,000 miles, so to resume things I believe it was the sensor all along.
Yes and no: if I understand you right you have not changed the sensor, only the filter. It works with the original filter and with the K&N filter but not with the 3" cone. As I said there is something wrong with the way it was installed or the cone itself. The fact that it works with the old filter and the K&N pad proofs that the MAF sensor is o.k. Somehow when you put the cone on not all air gets metered.

Follow Noggin's advise.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by UseYourNoggin
READ: https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/new...cs-post-30904/ to learn how to load a pic we can see.

If it's a K&N intake for that vehicle it should be fine. If it's a no-name intake with a K&N filter you may have problems.
You may need to get an air straightener: AEM Mass Air Flow Straightener

Again, vaccuum lines that went to your stock air box must be plugged. Any solenoid attached to your stock air box must be removed from air box and left plugged in somewhere under the hood!

That SRI (short ram intake) will not benefit you. After driving around in the city for 10 minutes or so, you will experience Heat Soak. Which means you will have no power. You will be sucking in very hot air from under the hood which is in direct path from the rad fan. I know, i've been there. You need to create a baffle which prevents hot air from rad fan getting to it which must be sealed to the hood.
SEE MY PICS:

See my picture I re upload it! BTW thanks for the advices

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Problem with my car!