Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

passenger side ball joint ripped

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 01:49 PM
Default passenger side ball joint ripped

my car vibrates a lot while driving and slightly wobbles at slow speed and i hear this intermittent thump thump thump noise when going over certain bump sometimes and i think its my ball joint on the passenger side, i looked at it and the boot is ripped and you can see all the grease.

I was told on a protege well at least my one 2000 protege you can't just replace the ball joint by itself you have to replace the whole control arm ball joint assembly together is this true?

how long does it typically take to replace the passenger side control arm ball assembly on a protege 2000?

also would it be longer to replace the ball joint by itself or replace control arm ball assembly?

Last edited by mazpro00; 01-01-2014 at 02:25 PM.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:36 PM

I would replace the whole lower control arm that is what exactly happened to me where my ball joint was ripped and grease EVERYWHERE. For a little more, it just makes sense to replace the LCA. Also since your down there and have that off, I would like at your sway bar and have it replace but you would need an alignment afterwards. Make sure you have a breaker bar or a impact wrench because those bolts are going to be a pain in the butt to remove!

Old 01-02-2014, 10:19 AM

Mazpro00:

Go to an auto parts website and look for the parts number of the lower ball joint. If you find one you don't need the whole LCA. If you don't find the parts number you need a new LCA or one of the junk yard, low mileage vehicle.

A Pro will do it in 1 hour or so.

In any case you need a front end alignment.

I would inspect the struts and if they are questionable I would replace:
Struts, outer tie rod ends, sway bar bushings and links, and all of that on both sides. It will ride like new for a long time. (until the inner tie rod ends go, that is).

Old 01-27-2014, 05:29 PM

Hey guys i went under my car the other day and noticed where the passenger side ball joint is ripped that the passenger control arm bushing is pretty much shot watch the video below to check it out, i was wondering am going to soon order a whole control arm assembly but i was wondering if your on a budget is it ok if i just change the passenger side control arm assembly or do i have to replace both at the same time the driver side control arm assembly looks perfect and looks like the stock mazda one not to sure though, i plan on replacing the passenger side with a moog one is that ok?

Old 01-27-2014, 09:22 PM

I have been in your situation when my budget made me do things the cheapest way, but the cheapest way will cost later.
After replacing a LCA you will have to get a wheel alignment. If you replace both both sides at once one alignment will do. Find out how much a front wheel alignment will cost.

My biggest concern is that you will have new bushings on one side and old ones on the other. They will have different rates of "give" under load, meaning the wheel alignment will be a compromise, and not a good one. Besides, chances are that the other ball joint is on the way out as well.

Watch some videos on how to replace LCA's and consider doing that yourself on both sides, then get a professional wheel alignment done.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:34 AM

Thanks tan for the advice i decied to get both control arm assemblys moog r series drom rockauto for pretty cheap i ll attempt to do it myself

Old 01-29-2014, 01:08 PM

Wise decision! Moog is a premium brand too.