Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

overheating with broken maf sensor

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 04:38 PM
Default overheating with broken maf sensor

So my car won't start unless the coolant temp sensor is unplugged and it had a bad, low idle before i broke the little wire in the middle of the maf sensor. I notice that my car idles much better and the idle is somewhat shaky and it starts to run hot after about 15 minutes. Does this mean the maf sensor was the problem to begin with? I also see that it gets very shaky when my headlights are turned on and there is a little liquid coming from the exhaust pipe. Please help me. I already ordered new mafs, air filter, and ignition wires and I plan to replace the distributor.

Old 11-16-2014, 07:19 AM

Daquane25: I am not able to tell if the MAF sensor was the root of the problem(s). you have made many changes to your car and at this time No one is able to match your action with a specific effect.
I think you have a problem in your charging system. Turning on the headlights should not make your engine misfire. Also running hot (do you mean overheating?) after 15 minutes is not normal.
Try a load test of the charging system (your teacher may help with "how to") to sort out the battery and alternator. Make sure you have clean connections at the battery posts, that the cables are in good shape (corrosion can creep into them and increase electric resistance) and that all ground connections are clean and good. That includes the mounting surfaces of the alternator.
A little watery liquid in the exhaust is normal combustion precipitation. Fuel contains hydrocarbons that get oxidized to CO2 + H2O using oxygen from the aspirated air. However if that little bit of fluid contains coolant then you have a busted head gasket and that would explain a whole lot of your troubles.

Old 11-16-2014, 08:53 AM

Figure out why it is overheating. You might have a blown head gasket.

Old 11-17-2014, 10:22 PM

hey I think the problem with my headlights was the idle was off. I got it somewhat right (seems right to me) and it idle better than before. The only real problem i have with my idle now is the ac. i can turn the ac on to any speed and the idle is okay, but once i press the a/c button, the idle goes crazy. i think the whole temp sensor problem has been cured. idk. i had to start it while it was unplugged then i plugged it in once it was at operating temp then the engine stalled but started right up again and i cant stab the gas or else it dies. i have to ease gently on it so maybe my problem now is with my misadjusted tps or broken maf sensor. i will check tomorrow morning when the car has sat and is cold to see if it starts with the temp sensor connected. my problem might be it will only start when the temp is hot but im hoping it's alright. also i see the cooling fan works but only the one on the driver's side and i don't see a wire on the passenger side fan so this is probably why it didnt overheat this time.
Originally Posted by tanprotege
Daquane25: I am not able to tell if the MAF sensor was the root of the problem(s). you have made many changes to your car and at this time No one is able to match your action with a specific effect.
I think you have a problem in your charging system. Turning on the headlights should not make your engine misfire. Also running hot (do you mean overheating?) after 15 minutes is not normal.
Try a load test of the charging system (your teacher may help with "how to") to sort out the battery and alternator. Make sure you have clean connections at the battery posts, that the cables are in good shape (corrosion can creep into them and increase electric resistance) and that all ground connections are clean and good. That includes the mounting surfaces of the alternator.
A little watery liquid in the exhaust is normal combustion precipitation. Fuel contains hydrocarbons that get oxidized to CO2 + H2O using oxygen from the aspirated air. However if that little bit of fluid contains coolant then you have a busted head gasket and that would explain a whole lot of your troubles.

Old 11-17-2014, 11:29 PM

I think you need to make sure the basics of your engine are o.k. Please check the compression.

Old 11-19-2014, 08:58 AM

okay. tried to start it while engine fully cold and still doing the same with coolant temp sensor connected. i'm stabbed again. maybe there's something else in that circuit or something that's keeping it from doing right. (maf sensor) It's supposed to be arriving today...