Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

New Protege5 Owner

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 12:06 AM
Default New Protege5 Owner

Hello,

I just bought a 2003 protege5, and of course once I finally drive it for a day i find all the problems. Three to be exact.

1- Noob question, dash bulb needs to be replaced, how the heck to I access the cluster.

2-Everytime i engage the clutch, i feel a bump by my left foot. To me it feels like a motor mount. How easy is it to change these out?

3- When I press on the brakes the pedal vibrates like crazy, but only when I am slowing down fast. To me seems like maybe the rotors are warped.

But looking for any answers from someone who knows these cars better.

Any answers would be greatly appreciated!

Old 08-19-2010, 01:10 AM

Motor mounts are super easy. For number 3, your ABS is kicking in. Seeing as to how you're stopping fast. That means you have to be pushing hard on the brakes. It'll kick in under hard braking.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:26 PM

How do you know he has ABS?

Old 08-26-2010, 11:23 AM

First, thanks for the replies!

Alright, update time.

1-Figured out the dash and replaced the bulbs, dang little bulbs were $9 bucks a peice at the dealer, (couldn't find anywhere else that sold them). Does anybody else have red little condoms on their bulbs?

2-Replaced the front motor mount, the old one was completely busted, only one side was connected still with a little chunk of rubber. I think the back one might need to get replaced also, because it does feel better, but there is still a little play. I was going to fix both at the same time, but no one had the part without having to order it.

3-Brakes - I picked up 4 new discs and when I pulled off the front passenger disc, there was no actual disc bearing surface on the inside side of the disc, just rusty bumpy metal, with a scored black chunk of bearing surface about an inch square. So that explains the horrible grinding noise and shaking when the brakes were applied.

It seems like I got everything fixed but now there is more. Mazda says my timing belt needs to be changed at 100,000, and I'm at 104,000. Any one know how to do that, of at least know where I can find a procedure for it. My biggest concern is just making sure that I get the timing back correctly, I really don't want bent valves. I have looked everywhere for a repair manual for this car, anyone have any leads? How in the world do you know your torque specs without a manual?

Also, every now and again, I'll start the car and a huge puff of white smoke will come out the exhaust. It will stop immediately, so by the time I jump out to look the car is running clean. I originally thought maybe my head gasket was going out, but talking to my companies mechanic, he says that oil is getting through the valve guides, from either a worn valve guide or a leak in the air system. Any one have any experience with this?

Thanks!

-Chris