Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Need help replacing spark plug wires

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 01:05 PM
Default Need help replacing spark plug wires

I'm not much of a do-it-yourselfer, but I was told that replacing spark plug wires was pretty easy.

I've watched about five youtube videos so I know that you do it one at a time and all that stuff...

My problem is though..when look at my engine (2002 protege 5) I don't see any spark plug wires...I see all kinds of wires but nothing looks like what I see in the videos i've watched from other types of cars. I see a couple things that could possibly be them, but they arent lined up next to each other like in the videos, they are just kind of all over the place... and the clips look a lot different.

I've searched on google for a diagram or pic that points out where they are but all I keep getting is ads to buy the wires...

Can someone help me out? Thanks!

Old 05-13-2011, 04:20 PM

PM sent. Check your messages.
You really need a labelled diagram of what you're looking at and I'm gonna send you one.

Old 05-17-2011, 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by Doombi
I'm not much of a do-it-yourselfer, but I was told that replacing spark plug wires was pretty easy.

I've watched about five youtube videos so I know that you do it one at a time and all that stuff...

My problem is though..when look at my engine (2002 protege 5) I don't see any spark plug wires...I see all kinds of wires but nothing looks like what I see in the videos i've watched from other types of cars. I see a couple things that could possibly be them, but they arent lined up next to each other like in the videos, they are just kind of all over the place... and the clips look a lot different.

I've searched on google for a diagram or pic that points out where they are but all I keep getting is ads to buy the wires...

Can someone help me out? Thanks!
you only have the two spark plug wires so if this is your first time replacing spark plug wires, to truly replace ALL spark plug wires you need to replace the coil packs too, these are the black boxes that your spark plug wires go into, they are just as easy as replacing the wires except you need to remove the two bolts holding the coil pack to the engine. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN these bolts. the head is aluminum and strips easily

your wires are old and are not transmitting their full power, when you replace them, the coil pack will have to work harder to supply the new wires with the power they are capable of transmitting and the new power demand will likely burn out the old coil pack. if your coil pack fails, you will have a misfire in the failed cylinder and your engine will run terribly, when you go to give it some gas, the engine sputters like it wants to roll over and die.