Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 01:34 PM
Default Need Help

I have a 1995 Mazda Protoge 1.5 auto.
I was driving home and my radio stoped working i pulled over turned my car off then tryed to turn it back on but it wouldent start so i went into the store and when i came back out it started.I got home my husband went out and it wouldent start then he tryed it again and started but on my home way home the tac and speed omerter was not working...So my husband thought it was the alternator so he took it out got it tested and its fine but the serpentine belt is junk my dad keeps telling me its the battery...what do u guys think?????

Old 12-28-2010, 09:12 PM
Default 95 Protege starting trouble?

Hi there.
From my experience with car starting troubles, it can be a number of things:
1. You have checked your alternator - if its ok, thats good.
2. You mentioned that once you pulled over after your radio quit, the car wouldn't start. Do you mean it wouldn't turn over (just went click-click), or that it would crank over without starting? If it didn't turn over, then it is probably an electrical problem not a fuel / ignition problem.
3. Your dad could be right in thinking that it is your battery. Best have yours checked to see if it is holding a charge. Any reputable garage can do this.
4. If your serpentine belt is worn, have it replaced. A serpentine belt turns your alternator amongst other things. If it is worn and slipping, it is not charging your battery as is should.

I hope this is some help!