Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Rough idle will not accelerate

Old 12-28-2010, 09:38 PM
Default Rough idle will not accelerate

So I have a 2002 Protege with about 120,000 miles. It was running decent, so I thought I would do a simple tune which included changing the sock filter attached to the fuel pump in the gas tank. I disconnected all the fuel lines and electrical related. I also disconnected the fuel lines going to the fuel rail and the return coming out of the fuel regulator. It was pretty simple, but after putting it all back together it does not want to run. When it is cold it will idle alright till it warms up. At this point it wants to die or when I give it gas it dies instantaniously. After pulling the in-line fuel line the pressure is not impressive. I went ahead and changed the fuel pump considering I would have to change it sooner or later whether it was the problem or not. It helped slightly but I still have the same problem basically. I don't know if there is some sort of sensor or module that tells the pump how much to pump. I am three evenings deep and a few hundred dollars in the hole. I am stumped and any help would be much appreciated.

Chris

Old 12-28-2010, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by chrisheyen
So I have a 2002 Protege with about 120,000 miles. It was running decent, so I thought I would do a simple tune which included changing the sock filter attached to the fuel pump in the gas tank. I disconnected all the fuel lines and electrical related. I also disconnected the fuel lines going to the fuel rail and the return coming out of the fuel regulator. It was pretty simple, but after putting it all back together it does not want to run. When it is cold it will idle alright till it warms up. At this point it wants to die or when I give it gas it dies instantaniously. After pulling the in-line fuel line the pressure is not impressive. I went ahead and changed the fuel pump considering I would have to change it sooner or later whether it was the problem or not. It helped slightly but I still have the same problem basically. I don't know if there is some sort of sensor or module that tells the pump how much to pump. I am three evenings deep and a few hundred dollars in the hole. I am stumped and any help would be much appreciated.

Chris
This sounds more like a worn out timing belt that has jumped a tooth more than a fuel system issue. FWIW, changing fuel pumps and filters these days is something that usually causes more problems than this type of service solves. Why? Because modern pumps and filters for high pressure fuel injection systems are typically good for an easy quarter of a million miles.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:59 PM

Thanks, I wish I would have known this before I jumped into it but unfortunately I don't think it is the timing belt. I changed it at 100k unless it messed up in the small window while I changed the filter. I am not much of a guru, more of a tinker!