Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Mysterious proclem; Engine Code P0170

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 08:42 AM
Angry Mysterious proclem; Engine Code P0170

Hello all,

I'm trying to solve an on-going issue with my Mazda Protoge. Here are the details and I'm hoping someone out there has the solution to this problem;

Car:
1997 Mazda Protoge
1.5 litre engine
Automatic transmission
A/C
4 Dr.

Problem:
When starting the car in the morning, it starts fine. No issues until I park the car. If I start the car in the first 5 - 10 min., the car starts fine. If I wait longer than that, the car sputters on the first attempt and fails. Subsequent attempts to start the car fail. The starter just tries to star the car, it turns over but for some strange reason the engine will not fire the fuel mixture. I have to wait approx. 40 min. then try again. This time, the car will start, engine will sputter a little and then get going. Driving off, there is a lack of power for the first few minutes and then the car will run normally. Sometimes, the check engine ligt will come on. According to the code reader, the engine code reads P0170; fuel trim malfunction.

Fixes to date:

I have fixed/replaced the following;

1) Inspected, cleaned and gapped the spark plugs.
2) Replaced the O2 sensor.
3) Replaced the coolant sensor.
4) Sealed hole in the air intake pipe (connected to the MAF sensor and throttle body).
5) Checked for leaks near the throttle body.

I'm at a loss. I do not know where else to look. Anybody have an other ideas to solve this mysterious problem?

Thanks,
Frustrated Mazda owner

Old 04-14-2010, 10:35 PM

suggest replacing air intake hose. If there is one hole , there's probably more. All that air coming into engine is way more than what the MAF indicated to ECM. The intake hose has to be checked VERY carefully. Also double check all that you've done under the hood and check for loose or cracked vaccuum hoses. post the results thanks

Old 05-14-2010, 02:55 PM

Hey Guys. I've had this very problem on my '97 Protege that my mechanic couldn't figure out for the last couple of years. It's been intermitent and he's made some fixes but it's always popped back up. When I took the car in in Monday, he showed me his computer screen that indicated that Mazda seems to be aware of this issue and there may be a warrantable fix if you bring it into the dealer and your VIN number is part of the recall. I've attached a pic I took of the computer screen.

Hope this helps.

Attached Thumbnails Mysterious proclem; Engine Code P0170-img00028-20100510-1754.jpg  
Old 08-29-2013, 01:19 AM
Default How do you solve the issue

Originally Posted by klakha
Hello all,

I'm trying to solve an on-going issue with my Mazda Protoge. Here are the details and I'm hoping someone out there has the solution to this problem;

Car:
1997 Mazda Protoge
1.5 litre engine
Automatic transmission
A/C
4 Dr.

Problem:
When starting the car in the morning, it starts fine. No issues until I park the car. If I start the car in the first 5 - 10 min., the car starts fine. If I wait longer than that, the car sputters on the first attempt and fails. Subsequent attempts to start the car fail. The starter just tries to star the car, it turns over but for some strange reason the engine will not fire the fuel mixture. I have to wait approx. 40 min. then try again. This time, the car will start, engine will sputter a little and then get going. Driving off, there is a lack of power for the first few minutes and then the car will run normally. Sometimes, the check engine ligt will come on. According to the code reader, the engine code reads P0170; fuel trim malfunction.

Fixes to date:

I have fixed/replaced the following;

1) Inspected, cleaned and gapped the spark plugs.
2) Replaced the O2 sensor.
3) Replaced the coolant sensor.
4) Sealed hole in the air intake pipe (connected to the MAF sensor and throttle body).
5) Checked for leaks near the throttle body.

I'm at a loss. I do not know where else to look. Anybody have an other ideas to solve this mysterious problem?

Thanks,
Frustrated Mazda owner
How do you solve the issue man?