Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Mazda protege5

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2020, 01:47 AM
Default Mazda protege5

So I have a 2002 Mazda protege5 and snapped a second timing belt.... the first time I snapped the belt all I replaced was the belt itself and not the tensioner not sure if that's ok or not cause it work but ran a little off.. and I'm not sure weather this engine is an interference engine or not? Also if it is how much is it gonna cost me to rebuild the top end myself? This is my first Mazda. I mainly work on VW but I bought this car and absolutely love it so willing to do whatever it takes to fix it.

Old 01-31-2020, 09:44 AM

Well, a search of the forum reveals it's not an inteference engine. As for running "a little off", perhaps you missed by a tooth.

Old 02-03-2020, 02:24 PM
Default Changed timing belt now what

When my timing belt broke trying to start it and it sounded like a sewing machine.... I changed the timing belt tensioner and idler pulley tried starting it and seems like its sounds the same... what do I do next?

Old 02-04-2020, 05:33 AM
Super Moderator

Compression test & leakdown test

Old 02-04-2020, 09:36 AM

Double check the belt timing. Check the ignition timing, and what grim_reaper said.

Old 02-07-2020, 10:47 AM
gbh

My son and I just replaced the timing belt, tensionor, and water pump on his 2003 Protege5. Before removing the old belt I marked the belt on each cam pulley and the lower pulley. We then transferred the marks to the new belt. It was the first time I'd done a belt on a DOHC engine. I tried locking the pulleys in place with wrenches and vice grips, but ultimately it was really difficult to keep all the factory pulley marks (not the ones we added) in the correct position while getting the new belt on. If we had not silver sharpie marked the belt first, transferring to the new belt, I'm sure the job would have been way more difficult.

I watched a bunch of youtube videos, and read the shop manual carefully several times. I'm confident in saying that most of the youtube videos (maybe all of them) give at least some verified incorrect instructions on how to do this job properly, so don't rely solely on youtube. If you watch all the youtube videos AND read the shop manual the correct steps and tips will mostly all come together.

One point I was never 100% clear on was installing the tensionor before or after the belt. I'm pretty sure the "correct" order is tensionor first then belt. That's what we did. However, I'm sure if it is possible to reverse that order it would be much easier to install the belt keeping all the factory pulley marks positioned correctly.

Since your belt broke you have to do this job relying on the factory pulley marks. Be sure after the belt is on to rotate the engine a few times and check the alignment marks before going further.