Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Loud Noise at +25 MPH

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 03:10 PM
Default Loud Noise at +25 MPH

I have a '99 Protege and over the last couple months i have gotten a noise (sounds like a loud hum) that sounds like it is coming from the middle front of the vehicle. It gets louder as i speed up and at 75 mph it is almost so loud you cannot hold a conversation. When i take turns at higher speeds, the sound does not change from side to side. I replaced the wheel bearings 3 years ago and this sounds similar but not the same and is not isolated to one side. If i am at high speed and put the car in netural, the noise persists and does not change.

My initial suscpicion is that the axel bearing (i have also heard it called carrier bearing or support bearing) has gone bad and needs replacing. If that is the case I am having a hard time finding a new part.

If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate them. I just want to be a little more sure before i do all the work to replace that bearing.

Thank you.

Old 10-26-2011, 08:50 PM

You proved that the noise is speed related. Anything from the tires to the tranny could be the cause. I first would inspect and rotate the tires. If the humm moves to the rear you know it is the tires.
I would closely inspect the brakes. They might be dragging enough to cause noises.
I would check the wheel bearings for play. I would inspect the drive shafts and see if anything touches them.
Also look if any plastic body parts could be affected by the windstream and cause the noise.
Check the power steering as well.

Now I run out of ideas.