Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Ignition/parking lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 12:19 AM
Default RE: Ignition/parking lights

The lights would come on as I stuck the key in, without turning the key at all. The lights in the front are the amber lights and the rear ones are the red ones...the normal parking light colors.

Old 12-11-2005, 01:47 AM

depman, Thanks for the return reply. The only thing that should change when inserting key is the key reminder switch that has no input into the taillights in any way. You have one weird problem going on. The keyless system as well as the alarm both use the hazard/turn lights and not the parking light circuit to flash. I was thinking maybe a short circuit between the reminder switch and headlight switch but still does not pan out. The parking lights are turned on when the headlight switch provides a ground for the TNS relay coil which then applies power to the parking light circuit. The key reminder switch is the exact oposite in that it has power to it all the time and simply closes and sends the voltage signal thru to the instrument cluster letting it know that key is in. Sorry but a short here would not create the same problem but the opposite. Nothing else seems to make sense with your description. I was looking for a tie between the key reminder switch and lights on reminder to see if there might be a connection but info is weak at best. Wish you were in my area as I would love to get my mitts on a good electrical problem. Any other info you can provide about the problem would be great so can be looked into further.

Old 12-12-2005, 04:01 AM

Well, I appreciate your hard work and efforts into this strange and apparently unique problem. Luckily it hasn't done it since the other day when I began asking about it.
At least it's not something that happens all the time, otherwise I would be really upset. I was just hoping that someone would have maybe heard about this and could offer some insight.

I am going to make an appointment at the dealer and see if they can find some obvious thing wrong with it by looking at it.
Will keep you posted!
Thanks again.

Old 12-12-2005, 07:31 PM

depman, Did you ever look to see if your car had that perimeter security module up under the dash above drivers pedals area? Did not see that you posted back on that. I had parts order me a new module so I could look at the wire diagram for it ( is not in the factory wire diagram as it is a dealer or port installed option ), and guess what. The security module does control the parking lights and not the hazard/turn so that could definitely be the source of the problem. Anyway, if it does have a module that looks like the one pictured give a post back and I will show you how to disable the parking light wire and hopefully the problem.