Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda Protege (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-protege-23/)
-   -   Ignition/parking lights (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-protege-23/ignition-parking-lights-1697/)

depman160 12-07-2005 06:18 PM

Ignition/parking lights

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and have a question that is somewhat unusual.
I have a 2002 Protege ES, 4-door.

The problem is, that when it is cold (usuaklly in the teens or 20s) sometimes when I stick the key in, the parking lights will pop on for no reason. The car will start and run, but when I shut the key off, the lights will not go out and thus the battery drains and it needs jumped. It doesn't do it all the time, but it's happen twice now in the past 3 weeks.

I was told it is most likely an ignition swithc issue, but have not yet taken it to a dealer or shop to actually have anything done with it. I am afraid this is going to cost a fortune to diagnose and fix, so I am looking for anyone who might have had this problem or something similar and some advice on how to fix it.
Thanks in advance!

babyhuey 12-07-2005 10:56 PM

RE: Ignition/parking lights

Does you vehicle have the factory alarm system installed. You know the one that flashes the lights and blows the horn if broken into.
If so you may have a problem in the control module. Is not too uncommon and symptoms are almost identical to what you describe. Lots of times the lights will just come on by themselves out in the driveway/garage and stay on untill the battery is dead.

depman160 12-07-2005 11:05 PM

I don't believe it has any alarm system built in. I bought it used and no one said anything about an alarm. The only alram I know of is the panic button on the key thing.

babyhuey 12-07-2005 11:31 PM

Possible that you may have it and not realize it is there. Look under the dash kind of straight up and to the outside of where your clutch pedal is. The security module is always located right there. Here is a pic of what it looks like. Sounds unlikely to be the ignitionn switch as that is not really tied into the lighting systems.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/2E6D16A9CD3C458FBFF72F66EB52C5E9.jpg[/IMG]

depman160 12-07-2005 11:58 PM

I have an automatic, but will check later for that module to see if there is one there.
I called a local dealership and talked to a friend who is a mechanic, and they both said that it could be ignition since the parking lights are tied into that.

I have no clue and don't want to have to start paying to have it hooked up to a computer or have someone start tinkering with it until I have an idea of what it might be.

babyhuey 12-08-2005 02:09 AM

Sorry, the reference to the clutch pedal was just to give you an idea of where to look for the module in question. I do not know of any tie to the parking lights with the ignition switch. You can turn on the parking lights without having the key on so they are not powered thru the same circuits. Do you have keyless entry?

depman160 12-08-2005 02:44 AM

yes, I have the thing on my keyring to lock/unlock the doors. The reason I think that they are suggesting a connection with the ignition is that because as soon as I stick the key in the ignition, the light come on automatically. But like I said, it only does it every once in a while, since it did it earlier in the day Wednesday, its been working fine and starting fine.
This is completely baffling me. I'm sure that the computer would pick something up if I take it to the dealer, but I don't want to have to start dropping cash on something that isn't a regular occurrance.

babyhuey 12-08-2005 03:19 AM

depman160, the dealer computer will not pick up anything. The keyless system as well as any alarms and lights does not have any diagnostics with the dealer computer. I have the dealer computer right next to my toolbox and it does not work that way. I do not see the link between inserting the key and lights coming on outisde of the security system at fault at this point. Let me take another look at the wiring diagram for the system in the morning but I am not seeing the connection between the two. The keyless module can flash the lights so there is some control there but have never seen an issue with a keyless module as yet.

depman160 12-08-2005 03:51 AM

well, any help will be appreciated. I am clueless as to why it only does this every once in a while and only on cold nights....it has happened like 4 times, and each time was, like I said, in the teens or 20s.

I guess that is why I always back into parking spaces and keep my jumper cables in the back seat!

babyhuey 12-08-2005 03:16 PM

Have been thinking on this last night and this morning and looking at wiring diagram. Two questions. You said the lights pop on by themselves when you stick in the key. Do they come on as soon as the key is inserted into the ignition without turning key yet or after key is turned to acc or run position as if going to start the car. Also is it the parking lights or turn/hazards? The front marker lights share the same bulb with the turn but the rear do not. When the lights were on and would not turn off, were the lights that were on in the rear the amber or red?