Mazda Miata (MX-5) This compact RWD model, offered with many engines options for those are who want to cruise with the top down in a base model, or hit the track in one of the high performance models, has been a popular model since its introduction.

Parking Lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 09:14 PM
Default Parking Lights

I think the cold weather has made my parking lights come on by themselves. I walked past my car a couple of times this morning and all the lights were off. But about an hour later, after a strong cold front passed through the parking lights were on. I got into the car and found the light switch was in the off position. I turned it from off to park then to headlight and back to off. The parking lights were still on. I started the engine and let it warm up for about 10 minutes, the parking lights were still on, I got back into the car and turned the switch to on again then off. The lights went off that time. About an hour later the lights came back on by themselves. I did this proceedure two more times, and each time afer the the car got cold again the lights would come back on.

My guess is that the TNS relay is causing the problem, but I don't know how to be sure that is the cause. I removed the fuse for now so that the battery will not run down, but I need to try to fix the problem this weekend. Any ideas as to the cause or the solution?

Thanks,

ron

Old 12-01-2006, 04:00 PM
Default RE: Parking Lights

For anyone else with a similar problem. I got help from a fella at the Miata.net forum, he suggested I look at a previous post that someone had in the past there.
http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthrea...g+light+problem

It turns out that some moisture was in the relay, with help from the link and a wiring diagram I was able to find the correct relay and repaired it.

I sure appreciate the resources of this and other Mazda forums. Great to have the help!

ron

Old 12-22-2006, 08:31 PM
Default RE: Parking Lights

ok hey i just had the same problem on my car the whole thing blanked out xept mine was more exiting smoke, a melted fuse and melted wiring after one of the front park lights fell out and touched ground, so im trying to replace the whole wire (redblack) and possibly the turn signal one too (green white) ive gotten to the white blue which seems to go to the tns but say the short backfed, it seems although they wont turn on, that the rear wiring is ok, turn signals work fine as well as headlights and switch seems to work just fine as well xept no effect when flicking on the park lights setting, do you guys think changing the tns and rewiring allthe bad wire up to the relay will work or could it of have crossed over past the relay causing damage to the circuit before the relay as well, unfortunately the cars wiring harness is unbeleivably hard to reach so i cant really see it, rather just put a new wire all the way thru, btw, where is that tns relay exactly next to what? inside the engine bay or under the steering?? does anyone know where exactly the red black wire goes thru the wiring diagrams are a little hard to understand when it comes to following them thru anyways thanks in advance, and btw that link unfortunately did not work is it displayed right?