Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Ghost in the Machine...

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 07:35 AM
Default Ghost in the Machine...

I have an odd problem here that I cannot figure out. I own a '97 Protege LX that drives like a dream and the car is just plain fun to drive!

My problem is in the AC. The AC works fine and blows cold however when you move the slide switch to the 4th blower position which is the highest, the blower shuts off and so does the compressor. I mean just like turned the AC button off and shut the blower off. I don't understand it. I could have it in the 3rd position and runs fine but move it one more to the 4th and the blower stops, the light on the AC button goes out and the compressor stops running.

Anyone ever have this happen to them??

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:36 AM

My 2003 does this, only 1 and 4 work with the compressor turned on. I changed the fan motor and It worked for about 5 months and then the same thing happened.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:40 AM

It's the blower switch.

If you do a little searching here you will find that the switches will fail at some time.
Internally there is a spring that pushes only at one side. Someone cured it by placing a second spring and ball on the other side to even out the pressure.
It may be difficult or extremely expensive to come up with a new switch.