General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Leaky water ghost...

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 03:34 PM
Default Leaky water ghost...

I need a hero for the day. I bought my fourth rx7 6 months ago. Since I got it he has lost water. I use to put about a cup or two in every 100-200 miles. My add coolant alarm would go off often enough that I would just put a little in in the morning. Well I couldn't find the leak even after hours of looking for it, so I put in a new water pump and replaced both front and rear gaskets. Seemed to work okay at first. The pump works great, but so did my old one (a 126$ maybe fix). I just noticed that under my dash there is a leak I am thinking it is my heater core (also even when my interior fan is turned off and the thermostat set to the extreme blue left- there is still hot air comming out at my feet), but would this be my water leak? The fluid under my dash seems like it has water, oil, and anti-freeze. I am really not sure, maybe I have a vaccuum leak??? I almost got stranded 3.5 hours away from home last weekend. It is getting alarming and I don't have the cash to take him to the doctor so I gotta do it meself~ Any thoughts?

Old 10-05-2008, 03:36 PM
Default RE: Leaky water ghost...

Sounds like you gotta problem

Old 10-05-2008, 03:38 PM

I do, maybe some one will help

Old 10-05-2008, 03:52 PM

is it smoking even the slightest? check for condensation on the tail pipes when the car is at operating temperature. a little is fine, but if there is enough to stand on the tail pipe, you probably need to rebuild the motor. if there is any smoking, you definitely need to rebuild the motor.

Old 10-05-2008, 04:31 PM

Thank you for prompt response. I have looked for water in the tail pipe, didn't see any. I do have a little white smoking comming from kind of down from under my thermo housing, which I replaced also (the housing only)~

Old 10-05-2008, 04:41 PM

i assume that the oil is clean also? no water in the oil?

Old 10-05-2008, 09:22 PM
Super Moderator

If you are seeing/smelling anti-freeze (a sickeningly sweet smell)inside the car, or the windshield is fogging up with what seems like an oily substance, you've probably got a bad heater core or leaky hose to the HC.
As far as the hot air is concerned, is the heater control valve inside the car? If so, that could be your leak too, but I don't know many that have that arrangement. Most HCV's are mounted outside in the engine compartment to avoid just such an issue. And w/so much room under the hood of a 7 you would think...?

Old 10-05-2008, 09:26 PM
Super Moderator

What really scares me is that one-sided conversation you were having up there. 4 posts in total, 3 of them here, 1 of them a question to us and the other two back to yourself.
Feeling a little cramped inside your body...?

Old 10-06-2008, 10:11 PM

I ordered a heater core, now I just gotta figure out the best way to put it in. The only tech guide I have found for free is an 85 RX-7. Some one told me I can bypass the core in the meantime. I'd rather just replace it.

As for the astute eye of my schizophrenic conversation, I was simply thinking the more responses I had would trigger more responses... who knows.

Oh, and Yes, the oil is clean and free from H2o

Last edited by virgin1; 06-28-2009 at 10:45 AM.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: iggyrex
As for the astute eye of my schizophrenic conversation, I was simply thinking the more responses I had would trigger more responses... who knows.
I just thought it was funny. And the fact the thefirst replywas posted 2 mins after the OP and thesecond 3 mins after that.. I hope you didn"t expect an answer quite that quickly?
We are not like that here. If we have an answer for you... even a guess, someone will speak up. Fortunately, we are a small enough forum that it's hard to miss a new post.We have a tight-knit group of core members (but we could always use another one.*hint-hint*) w/different experiences and knowledge.To me, that"s a good thing.

You don"t say what year/gen your RX is?Do you have pictures yet or is it a work in progress? It sounds like your weekend driver, so I would think it is normally viewable? Post "em if ya" got "em!!