Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Few questions about cooling for 94 protege

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 09:59 PM
Default Few questions about cooling for 94 protege

I am a noob to this forum, but not a noob to forums in general.
I have a 94 Mazda protege DX SOHC, Manuel trans,no A/C.My question, and problem is my car stays nice and cool when driving at normal speed, however in stop and go traffic or just idling the temp will go all the way up. Here is what I have done already: 1. new thermostat, new hoses, flushed the radiator, put in new coolant, the pump is about a year old (I changed it when I changed my timing belt), new temp censor on the therm housing. My fan does go on, but it does not seem to do much, I'm not sure if these fans are 2 speed fans or just one, but it is cycling on and off in 20 to 30 second intervals. When it gets hot the fan will still cycle, but turning the car off, and putting the key to the run position will keep the fan on.

I am a little confused as to what else it could be?

I have checked to see if the head gasket is ok, I have no leaks, and the coolant is circulating pretty well. Any Ideas, i'm thinking about getting a new radiator fan.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:53 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Few questions about cooling for 94 protege

Since you do not have A/C which keeps the fan running when its on, have you tried hot wiring the fan motor to see if that solves the problem?
Are you surethe temp sensor in the T-stat housing is not for the gauge/light instead offor the fan motor?

It sounds like you've done or checked everything else I can think of right now.It's really a pretty simple system, but the fan motor could be an arm and a leg. Some are.

Old 10-10-2008, 11:55 AM
Default RE: Few questions about cooling for 94 protege

The censor is the one right on the T stat housing, I went and bought the exact same one from my parts supplier. All wiring going too and from all censors are still intact. I have yet to hot wire the fan, what are the hot and ground wires in the pigtail? I'll give that a try.

Thanks for the reply.

Old 10-10-2008, 05:09 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Few questions about cooling for 94 Protégé

A volt-ohm meter, or a continuity testerwill tell you that.Connect one end/lead to ground andthe other to one of thefan wires. If it lights or shows 0 resistance you"ve found the ground side.
As long as themotor itselfisn't chassis grounded you can connect them any way you want.If it"s the wrong way, the fan will run backward (DC voltage 101. ) So then simply reverse the wires to make it run the correct way.

BTW: It"s spelled sensor. A "censor" is a person that decides what"s allowed and what is not.