Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 04:57 AM
Default engine swap

hey guys, i have a few first gen protege's in my yard, so, im gunna take a couple of non running ones and make 1 good car out of two

so i have a 1992 DX with a good sohc and a 5speed, but the body is torn to heck

i also have a 1993 LX with a great body, but the dohc and the auto are shot

so i am going to drop the 5speed sohc in the lx body.

dont know if anyone has done this, but im planning on taking the sohc wiring harness and ecm, and put it in the other body with its engine

the only potential problem i see is the hydraulic clutch system, but that shouldn't be too bad.

while i have the motor/tranny out, its gunna get a new clutch, and i plan on souping up the motor some, im going to port and polish the head, and probably shave it down a little 30-60 thousandths, after i do the math i will know, aiming for 10.0 to 1 compression.

its gunna have a CAI and a strait pipe, into side pipes coming out in front of both rear wheels, i have a header for a dohc, does anyone know if the flange on the sohc and dohc are the same?

anyone done this before?
i wouldnt want to do this to anything but the first gen protege, these things are rock solid, have very few issues, and have no problem going to 200k+ miles, my daily driver protege has 199k on it, my dirt track stock car protege has 210k, and 3 rollovers, my boss has a car identicle to my daily driver with 201k, these things are awesome